Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Little Megger
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Being as paranoid as i am after owning a Fiat Bravo 1.2 16V and having lots of problems (Gear box, clutch, head gasket, hand brake, water leaks and HT leads failures) in the 45k mile of owning it from new. I would just like to know what have I got to look forward to owning a Mondeo TDDi.

How reliable is the TDDi as an engine would you see it as a well made well designed (Bullet Proof) machine or a fragile temperamental cheaply made lump of metal which is why it was discontinued? I know about the DMF seems to be one of the big failures which most owners dread will one day fail on them costing a fortune.

I have read about the TDCi’s with their more refine fuelling system and smoother more consistent acceleration through the revs. The problems I have read about these are mainly the injectors fail on earlier versions.

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice

Martin

· MEG Ba5tard!
1,190 Posts
The TDDi is a very reliable proven engine. It is not as refined as the TDCi.

On the plpus side it will not eat injectors, does not have a DMF and is generally the better option. If the TDCi needs a new DMF/Clutch etc or injectors you are looking at big money.

I personally would not touch a modern common rail diesel as they cost a fortune to fix when they break. I'm sure there are plenty out there that are fine but its not worth the risk imo.

· MEG Corporal
718 Posts
I though the TDDi's did have the DMF. Also many other older direct injection cars (VW etc) also have DMF's - they aren't a new thing.

Personally, if I was to do it again I'd probably go for a TDDi - yes you heard it right. I've been a big defender of the TDCi in the past and it is better than the TDDi in many ways. Mines newer so should have the stronger injectors so it's not through fears of failure that I say this.

Problem is it's a common rail engine so I'm stuck with standard fuel. The TDDi's are more tolerant to veg oil mixtures and bio-diesel. Diesel has gone up sharply this last year and if I could I'd be cooking up veg oil to run it one.

Maybe my next car will be and old banger which I'll run on a mixture of veg oil and red diesel - if they catch me they can keep the car :)

So anyway - just avoid the early TDCi's. Start looking at the '05 onwards or get a TDDi.

· Little Megger
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the comments guys,

The TDDi does have a DMF as I’ve had it changed on my car along with the clutch already.

So fuel types aside which one would more than likely let you down after months/years of doing short journeys (4 miles a day) top speed maybe 35MPH?

· MEG Corporal
718 Posts
Oh, didn't realise that you already owned a Mondy and that it is a TDDi.

Both will suffer from the same issue's. Seized rear brake callipers and suspension bushes failing. Also the brake disk could warp and cause vibration under braking - mines just done that at only 39k.

Other than that I think both would be fine. Oh your doors might rust at the bottom but you can make Ford repair that free of charge as long as the rust started from the inside first.

The tailgate seems to empty most of the water into your boot when it's wet & opened. You have to hold it up a few cm's first to allow it to drain first.
Crank position sensor my fail and you might have thermostat problems as it has two but Ford don't seem to know that :)

· Registered
148 Posts
Both cards will experience the general wear and tear issues, just like most other brand of cars.

The only thing that can be very costly when going wrong on the TDDI is the DMF which you are looking between £600 - £1000 as a repair bill.

With the TDCI although they are more refined and enjoyable to drive, the feeling of nearly having have a heart attack everytime something goes wrong goes a long way to stopping that enjoyment at times.

The TDCI are prone to a number of serious issues relating to the fuel system. One being the fuel pump, which in a worse case scenario can start to break apart and little shards of metal get left in your fuel system.

As a result the entire fuel system needs to be replaced, which for the cost you might as well get a second hand engine.

· Man in a Jag
14,847 Posts
Firstly - dont be thinking you have got a vastly inferior car with a TDDi over a TDCi because thats simply not true. From what I have been told over the years, the TDDi was brought out because the TDCi simply wasnt ready for the launch of the MK3 - and it seems they could have ironed out some more of the issues before releasing it as most of the problematic ones are the early ones.

The TDDi is essentially the same engine, alebit with a different fuelling system - which although isnt as refined as commonrail fuelling isnt as problematic either. On the move cruising you couldnt tell which one you were in. Performance wise, the TDDi isnt that far behind the 130 TDCi and the early TDDi's had a Variable Vane Turbo so the acceleration is very smooth and progressive. Ford only changed to fixed vane at the time the TDCi 130 was released because the TDCi 115 which was the replacement for the TDDi was going to have a fixed vane (the 130 is variable).

Overall - I wouldn't personally touch an early TDCi with a barge pole becuase I would still be just waiting for it to have injection issues even though the vast majority will still be problem free - but the later ones are much less likely to break.

· Diesel Head
1,914 Posts
ive owned both and the TDDI is a great engine although lacking a little in power. I then got a TDCI and had a bunch of problems with the injection system. My current TDCI '06 is now close on to 60000 miles mainly with a tuning box and has been faultless. So in my view i think the faults have been ironed out. Pre facelift TDCI are probably a time bomb :tonofbricks:

· Registered
1 Posts
In my opinion and many others, the Ford tddi engine is one of the most reliable and strong diesel engines produced to this day. I can honestly say if you want a diesel, you will not get a more reliable one. Obviously most of the cars and vans are now old but if you can find one decent or prepared to do it up you can't go wrong

· Little Megger
4,999 Posts
The TDDI and tdci are the same basic lump. The only difference(s) is the injection system. My '02 TDCi has the same egr location as the tddi, it was on later versions that the egr was relocated to the front of the engine.
A great bonus to have a timing chain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts