Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Little Megger
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My last car has a built in outside temp display which I miss, so I've gotten an accessory one that does the job. Im not sure where to route the sender wire though - it has a small disk around 12mm dia on the end of it. I tried removing the glovebox but there are loads of wires and relays etc. behind it which I didn't fancy disturbing. One option is to drill a hole thru the firewall but that's more of a last resort - anywhere better I can feed the sender and cable through?

·
AWOL
19,522 Posts
When I had one, I mounted the sensor on the door frame. The wire then simply routed under the dash and under the door rubber. POP to do, although I always questioned it's accuracy even when stationary

·
Little Megger
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a bad idea - I guess it's technically "outside" then!

·
Registered
974 Posts
im in the process of fitting an aws warning system, part of which is a temperature sensor, easist way of routing the wires, open the bonnet in the back passenger side of the engine bay behind the susspension there is a rubber grommit, carefully cut a small hole in this do this very slowley as there are a lot of wires underneath which run into the cabin, push your new wires through this then working inside the car remove glove box and pull fusebox out of the way , you should now be able to see your wires, pull them through and thats job done

·
Working on the Choo-Choo trains
1,950 Posts
Why not fit a trip computer? If you're going to fit an outside temp sensor then you might as well fit a Ford one and link it up to a trip computer - there's plenty of people on here who have done it, myself included.

·
Little Megger
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the idea of that - what other senders and bits does it need then? I assume there's a howto somewhere...

·
Registered
974 Posts
here are all the bits you need for trip computer upgrade
1, trip computer (bit obvious)
2, temp sensor
3, uprated fuel sender
4, plenty of wire
the first three you should be able to find on ebay, theres also a how to in the work shop as far as i know

·
Working on the Choo-Choo trains
1,950 Posts
You might not need the uprated fuel sender, depends on what year your car was made.
There's plenty of posts on this forum about fitting a trip computer (do a search and you'll see), and GuardTower is a trip guru, so if you're stuck send him a PT and I'm sure he'll help you out.

Do a forum search first though :L

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.