Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I had an advisory at my last MOT for a Mondeo Mk1. There are 2 separate cables for the handbrake to the the brake calipers. Only the driver side brake shoe is slightly binding, because the cable doesn't fully release the calipers but only on this one side. The calipers are OK though, proven by unhitching the brake cable. I have the Haynes manual for ths 1995 model of Ghia X and it is not of much use here though; I am trying to remove the centre, plastic consul which houses the CD holder etc. There is a pin in the hand brake which I am trying tor remove; this pin appears to need a Torx screwdriver; I bought a set of these and T7 seems to fit tightly but doesn't release the screw. I need to remove the centre plastic housing for access to the hand brake fixing; any readers with knowledge?. I attach some images.
Jaymack

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
754 Posts
sounds like the cable is the issue to the side thats binding. now, i worked in the dealers when the mk1 Mondeo came out and if memory serves me (30 years later!) the adjuster for the handbrake isnt under the console, but under the car floor, hidden by the exhaust heat shields. yes its a stupid idea, but at the time, we never had cause to adjust them.

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the help. I disconnect the cable at the caliper after struggling with the splines on the cable end, The caliper is free and the spring returns the caliper OK to the open position. There was little cable movement so I have support the cable end to the vertical postion and tried some oil down the end in case of rust. There may be something trapped under the exhaust plate that's preventing fully brake cable movement, I will inspect.
Jaymack

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I disconnect the cable at the caliper after struggling with the splines on the cable end, The caliper is free and the spring returns the caliper OK to the open position. There was little cable movement so I have support the cable end to the vertical postion and tried some oil down the end in case of rust. There may be something trapped under the exhaust plate that's preventing fully brake cable movement, I will inspect.
Jaymack
[/QUOTE]
Jaymack
[/QUOTE]
Eventually I found that the pin was not a pin but a dimple on the steel handbrake; I managed to prise off the leather handbrake sleeve; note that there is a spring at the top of the handbrake, this I taped over to prevent damage. - I refer to my previous "There is a pin in the hand brake which I am trying tor remove; this pin appears to need a Torx screwdriver; I bought a set of these and T7 seems to fit tightly but doesn't release the screw. I need to remove the centre plastic housing for access to the hand brake fixing; any readers with knowledge?. I attach some images".

Jaymack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts