Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MonradMondeo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to search the forum for answers but this problem is quite specific.

So... when I keep the steering wheel in perfect center. The car goes slightly to the right. This means I need to keep the wheel just a tiny bit to the left in order to drive straight.

In addition, when turning to the left at about 30km/h // 20mph and faster the front left wheel/area produces some kind of howling sound. It doesn't sound like metal grinding, at least not hard grinding. It is in some way a grindy hollow noise. Not when driving straight or turning right.

I've considered the front left wheel bearing. But when doing the wheel check it doesn't move in any direction. Also when the car is jacked up and I spin the wheel it doesn't produce any sound when the brake disc are off. But when the brake disc is on, and I spin the wheel. It does make a little grinding noise.

I will work on the caliper and overhaul it. But could it a make the steering wheel of center? And the howling sound when turning left.
I dont believe the car is pulling to the left, i tried to check but Norwegian roads are not that easy to check on (ye I know, rich country, bad roads). Also when breaking hard the car don't pull to any side. It passed the MOT test with some minor things not regarding to the steering or wheels etc, or as its called here PKK (Periodisk Kjøretøy Kontroll // Periodical Vehicle Control // EU-kontroll).

Anyway thanks for the help. Tried to as specific as possible. Any help will be superb!

I drive a Mondeo MK3 Estate (BWY) 2.0 TDDi / TDCi 2007 115hp and its called Monrad Mondeo, my user name got wrong....

·
MonradMondeo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No ideas so far...well, i will clean the caliper and piston, maybe change sliding bolts. Have my hopes on that it could be the caliper being stuck in some positions.

Do you think it could be?

·
MonradMondeo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That noise when spinning the wheel with disc on is just the pads touching the disc. Perfectly normal.
Yes your'e right! But when the car is in motion and a few degreesg turning left its makes a loud sound. Hoping that it is brake discs grinding but then it should grind no matter if I turn or not?

I broke a sweat yesterday trying to overhaul the caliper. Took some hours to get the old dust seal off, and refit the new one. Ended up braking two seals, and just bought new calipers in the end. Guess it was time to re-new them anyway. The broken seals costs one third of what a new caliper costs with seals already mounted.

The quest continues to find the noise....

I start to suspect it could be the tyres? All of them are slightly extra worn off on the inside. Tried to swap some tyres around but the sound stayed the same. Since my steering is off centre, maybe the tyres "high pitch screech" when turning left?

·
MonradMondeo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You said when turning left the sound is on the left? Doesn't make sense as the weight of the car would be on the right when turning left.
Yesss!!! That is the giga dollar question!!! Considering if it would be the bearing right?
It starts at just a few degrees left, almost nothing...and more or less all the way to sharp left.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have you checked the right side? The sound could be resonating and travelling around the car which would throw you off. Wheel bearing wouldn't get louder with weight off the car so it's either the other front wheel bearing or it's not a bearing issue

·
MonradMondeo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you checked the right side? The sound could be resonating and travelling around the car which would throw you off. Wheel bearing wouldn't get louder with weight off the car so it's either the other front wheel bearing or it's not a bearing issue
Aight, thanks so much for the answers so far.

I am working the calipers and brake system. Hoping it will make some results. Will update in a couple of days

1 - 8 of 8 Posts