Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased a mk2 97 2.0 glx hatch after my 2.5 Si got hit by a truck.

anyway, ive had it for a week, and ive been cruising the forums just reading up on stuff, and one thing that i am now slightly 'concerned' with is a sort of humming sound that changes pitch as i accelerate or decelerate.
i can only hear it when im in lower gears, and below 20mph, andthing more and the engine just drowns it out.
its hard to describe, but it really is a subtle humming, or could be described as the sort of sound an electric motor might make.

if anyone has any thoughts, id greatly appreciate it. and if anyone wants to explain to me what they think it may be, or a posisble solution, please use small words and explain any sort of engine things. i know nothing about engines other than dipstick and washer bottle!

also, the car was serviced regularly, last time in april 05, and has only done 55k miles, but im going to assume that 'things' need to be changed, like spark plugs, air and oil filter etc.
can anyone suggest what else needs to be done that i can do myself? i have the haynes manual, so i should be able to take direction from that. im not even going to attempt something like cam belts etc!

although, i did program a new IR remote key for myself last night, and im full of brovado and car DIY enthusiasm at the :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, the steering is a little stiff, and she does tend to veer slightly to the right.
and the sound certainly sounds like its coming from the right hand wheel area.
i'll take it to the garage and get it looked at.
cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts