Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My maverick 2.0i 2003 is struggling at idle and i suspect it might be the idle control valve. Can anyone tell me where it is with a picture if possible? I'm fairly novice at mechanics but changing this sounds easy enough.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
the idle speed control valve is usually on the throttle body.

9B989 in the pic

A012958001.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant! Thanks for that. I just need some children free time to take it off and inspect it. Is it possible to clean it with carburetter spray do you know, or is it better to just replace the unit?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
they say you can clean them with carb cleaner, and it can cure it, worth a go, before spending on a replacement part. I believe they are common to the zetec engine, so a 2nd hand breakers one will probably do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So taken it off and cleaned it out and it still idles rough but now also revs upto 1500rpm when you pull up, with the revs dropping to a rough idle after a few seconds. The ICV was a bugger to get to as it's at the back of the engine tucked under the throttle and air intake system. About 3 hours of swearing on my back attacking it from underneath!

My next point of call is the MAF which might need a clean, then the throttle housing...the list goes on.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again, thanks a million. I've cleaned the MAF - no change, cleaned the throttle out - no change. I've had a spray around some of the hoses with carb cleaner and the idle improves when it's sprayed behind the throttle so i'm leaning towards a vacuum leak. More rumaging I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts