Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Megger
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Have recently had the car with Frauds for a knocking on idle. At vast expense to myself(the car Mk3 TDCi, is still under warranty but they say it is a worn part after 40K!) they have replaced the clutch thrust bearing but also increased the idle speed to about 900 rpm.

Previously, if was about 750 (as indicated in the handbook) but if I pressed the accelerator the knocking vanished. So maybe they have charged me for increasing the idle speed!

My question; how do I alter the idle speed? Is it controlled by the electronics or can I twiddle a screw?

Grateful for your advice,

Many thanks,

Rex

·
MEG Corporal
1,133 Posts
Knocking noise at idle that goes away with a slight increase in rpm is a very very common TDCi problem and is caused by resonance in the aux drive pulleys, tensioner and belt.
It is commonly known as "Pulley Rumble"
Ford issued a TSB for it (TSB 18/2005) and it is covered under warranty. I had mine done at 32k miles and out of 6 TDCi's at work 4 have also had this work done.
Tell the Ford dealers to return the idle speed to within Ford specification (750 +/-50rpm) and check for pulley rumble.
If this cures the problem ask for a refund on the work they previously carried out.

Cheers
Lee

·
Megger
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lee,

Wow, very interesting.

My local dealer told me the noise was the Dual Mass Flywheel and they apparently replaced it. But the noise returned. Took it back and told me it was still the Dual Mass Flywheel but was within tolerance and Frauds would not cover it for another replacement.

Frauds Customer Service Dept advised that I go for a second opinion. The second dealer could not find anything wrong with the Dual Mass Flywheel but reckon it was a worn clutch bearing. As that is not under warranty, I had to pay. Does a clutch bearing go at 40K? Given my driving style, I don't think so!

I feel I was conned. My belief is that they found very little wrong, but were not going to fund the dismantling and ressambly of the transmission, so tell the customer that it is the clutch bearing, replace it and the customer can pay their costs.

Will get onto the dealer who gave the second opinion, because the idle revs are too high and see if the noise returns.

Many thanks for the advice, it really is much appreciated.

Rex

·
MEG Corporal
1,133 Posts
If you get it back to normal and the noise is back lift the bonnet and listen to the engine.
The knocking rumbling sound will be coming from the drivers side of the engine near the aux drive belts if it's the pulley rumble problem. It's not exact but you should be able to tell the noise is coming from that side and not the passenger side.
Get someone to press the throttle to lift the rpm slightly and the noise will just about dissapear.

Cheers
Lee

·
Megger
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lee,

One of the first things Frauds did was tension the belt on that side but the noise remained.

It was definitely coming from the transmission side. Easy to hear with ones head in the passenger footwell, not so easy to hear with the bonnet raised. Seems to have been fixed now (at vast expense to myself as the clutch is not a warranty part!) but they also increased the idle speed, which I had found also made the rattle vanish.

Additionally, I seem to be getting a reduced mpg (40 v about 48 previously) since the noise was fixed.

Rex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.