Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MEG resident lightbulb changer
1,038 Posts
My temperature gauge has not been working for a while now and I got a new temperature sender from fords to replace it with (haven't done so yet).
Yesterday when I drove to ford and back to get some other bits I noticed a lack of power and the needle on the temperature gauge moved a bit to just past the green block. When I got back to work I popped the bonnet and checked the engine its was quite hot, hotter than I remember. Also it is a bit noisier.

I've searched around on here and found quite a bit of info ( :L ). So I thought it could be the thermostat.
The thing I don't get though is that my heater works fine. Isn't the heater not supposed to work when the thermostat is faulty???

Can someone please put me out of my misery....PLEASE :confused: . I really don't want to end up having to spend hundreds on a blown head gasket or something.

Advice please peeps!

:thankyousign: :L

EDIT:

I did put a 1.8l throttle body on it about 6 weeks ago, but that couldn't be the cause, could it?

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
Normally, Mondeo thermostats stick open, so the engine and heater take ages to warm up, it is possible that yours has stuck closed, so the engine overheats, if you think it is hot. the best thing to do is change the thermostat and the gauge sender. you may also have an airlock in the system, or it could be the water pump, but I would change the thermostat and sender first, and see if its ok.

·
MEG Corporal
866 Posts
leapingfrog said:
Isn't the heater not supposed to work when the thermostat is faulty???
The feed to the heater is taken before the thermostat so the heater will work if the thermostat is stuck closed. The thermostat only controls the supply to the radiator.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
i had a mk1 and the thermostat decided to close and shut after about 20 miles , fortunately i got it home with the aa , changed the thermostat and all was well , dont risk the engine for the sake of £10 - 15 :L

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
yeah probably about right , i was thinking more ford dealer prices :thumbdown:

·
MEG resident lightbulb changer
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it all sorted yesterday after a bit of trouble. got the thermostat out in a jiffy then I thought lets change the sensor first. There wasn't mch room to get the spanner in but managed to get it out anyway, then when I'd put the new one in and tightened it it broke the thread out of the plastic housing :BEEP: :annoyed: :headshake: . But thank god for anglianut, I was lucky that he had a thermostat housing laying around. So I popped up there and fitted it at home in the dark and rain.
But it all seems to work fine now and the problem is solved!

Cheers for the help guys! :L :L :L

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.