Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a 53 plate Ford Mondeo Zetec about 4-5 days ago. Originally the keyfob didn't work and we had to manually lock the car with the keys which wasn't really an issue as the car was still locked. However upon replacing the battery the keyfob started working again (Unlock button unfortunately is broken and doesn't click or work, lock and boot do work).

From what I know or have heard, upon locking the car with the fob the lights are suppose to flash indicating the deadlock is done, However no lights flash at all on the car. I've also read that I should try locking myself in and try opening the door from the inside to see if the deadlock is set (Will be trying this tomorrow).

The light beside the clock (immobiliser light) flash's whenever the car is sitting there, locked or unlocked with the fob or the key itself, upon ignition it stays on for 3~ seconds then switches off indicating that it's working fine.

When we bought the car, the owner accidentally locked the only one key in the back seat of the car (No idea how) and ended up having to smash the front drivers window to retrieve the key (Cost £20 for a new window).

My question is when locking the car with the key (not fob) does this not set the deadlock? Upon locking with the fob it sounds pretty similar to locking it with just the keys. We will also be needing a new key soon as the unlock button doesn't work on the fob which hopefully should be easy to program.

·
Registered
Mondeo MK5 Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
529 Posts
When you go to lock it with the key first turn the key in the unlock direction then the lock direction and it should dead lock and arm the alarm.

You need to press the lock button twice on the fob to dead lock and arm the alarm.

If you lock and arm the alarm with the fob and unlock with the key you'll need to diarm the alarm by turning the key in the ignition.

·
got enough names thanks
1,717 Posts
I think the locking yourself in thing will give you your answer ...lost my keyfob for ages and used the non-electronic spare key all the time and always wondered if it double locked or not I think it should as Ford would have thought of this anyway. The handbook gives the info on this but if you have none just ask and I'll look up mine . Using the fob on mine ...to double lock you press lock once and then again within 5 secs which gets the indicators flashing for a sec

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah yes, double pressing it flash's the indicators. However since we don't have a working unlock button on our fob will turning the key to unlock the doors disable the alarm?

I locked myself in by pressing it once and upon coming out the car to open the bonnet the alarm sounded.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
you can replace the fob bit, with a new one (or 2nd hand) you just need to carefully swap the pats chip inside (glass tube) over to the new key then programme the remote function to your car, ignore the flip key upgrade (unless you fancy it) and just follow the chip swap bit, and programming instructions in the link.

Note, you only need to programme the remote bit, if you swap the pats chips over, ignore the bit which says you need to use two keys at the bottom, i found you could tease the pats chip out by inseting a pin into the rubber furthest away from the blade bit, and gently teasing it out the little hole in the end you can see.

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Flip_Key_-_Ford

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
i use a pin to get the pats chip out, probe the area gently with the pin til you find the end of the chip, then just tease it out a bit, move the pin up the rubber a bit, and tease it out a bit more repeat if necessary til you can get hold of it and it will just pull out with your fingers. DONT use any pliers etc, as the chip is covered in glass.

just push it in the new key. no tools required. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oddly all I had to do was put the car into programming mode then press a button on my new remote (It came with the circuit and the pats chip). This programmed it in and it's now working!

I got the key cut today too, however (The guy said since my old key is worn down, most likely my locks are too and the key might stick.) I put it in the door which unlocked it fine, put it in ignition and it got to II mark but the car wouldn't start, it goes forward but all lights just go off, it gets a little stuck when trying to get it out of the ignition too.

Not too sure what to do here, I temporarily put my old key onto the new fob.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Got a small problem, sometimes the original key doesn't work when starting the car (works fine on ignition up until start) it swaps randomly between the two keys.
as a temporary measure keeping both keys together when starting may work.

Thats strange that with the swapping between keys...

I take it you've tried reprogramming the pats bit of all the keys?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Grant have you changed the transponder chip from your old key into the new one, if not then the new key won't work to start the car.

When you got the car did you get at least 2 keys that started it, if so, then you can programme the new key to start the car without having to resort to changing the transponder chip from your old key

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We only got one key when purchasing the car. I just bought a new key off of ebay which had a pats chip in it and also the circuit board. I used the key we had to put the car into programming mode and the new fob worked by pressing just a single button.

I'm talking about the actual key we got cut (not the fob) which only sometimes works, other times only the old key works, and other times only the new key works. They always work in the door tho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts