Ford Automobiles Forum banner
181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Big Megger
366 Posts
was gettin 62MPG today!! :rocker:

40mph in 4th for about 15 mins it kept rising!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have recently just got 712 miles out of a tank of diesel, this was driving at 70mph and I achieved 53 MPG, trip said 64 MPG, this was with my car running cold, i changed oil coiler thermostat which made no difference so changed main thermostat which corrected over cooling. Trip now reading 55mpg so i think its a lot better.

·
3 Posts
Hey peeps

Great thread, newbie on the site and by what I've read here I think I've got reasonably lucky with my recently purchased 02 Zetec, after a couple of tank loads I'm getting about 48mpg without being careful with my driving style, pretty much all motorway mileage but generally happy with that

will think about checking the pipework for crud at some point but need to get some instructions to follow as I don't know where it is

·
real corporal
277 Posts
Just a had a flick through this thread, well first and last page, people who need advice on cleaning inlet mani or egr, check the fordwiki, its all in there

now my experience, i bought an 03 lx tdci, 130, on about 127k, gave her a full service bar a new air filter, (saved to get a k&n panel later on), and also a can of 10k boost straight into the turbo inlet, from the off driving from ipswich to scotland, i averaged around 60mpg straight away gettin 713miles from my very first tank!

now after hearin about the dirt that the egr causes i fabricated a blanking plate and gave it all a good clean also replaced my standard dirty air filter for a lovely new k&n, this time i averaged 65mpg! And 754miles from a tank!! This was all done with the cruise control set to 80 with sat nav confirmed 75, but the main thing to help bump up your mpg, quite simply is engine braking!! I almost never use my brakes as i'm constantly looking for slowin traffic and adjusting my speed via dropping gears, works wonders, and also 6th gear at 50mph through roadworks- gets over 99mpg!!

next up are some forte additives, better oil, will see what this does, and later will be a de-cat, Fst intercooler with a proper RR re-map.
I shall add posts later with photos of my results if you want?

·
Big Megger
325 Posts
Just a had a flick through this thread, well first and last page, people who need advice on cleaning inlet mani or egr, check the fordwiki, its all in there

now my experience, i bought an 03 lx tdci, 130, on about 127k, gave her a full service bar a new air filter, (saved to get a k&n panel later on), and also a can of 10k boost straight into the turbo inlet, from the off driving from ipswich to scotland, i averaged around 60mpg straight away gettin 713miles from my very first tank!

now after hearin about the dirt that the egr causes i fabricated a blanking plate and gave it all a good clean also replaced my standard dirty air filter for a lovely new k&n, this time i averaged 65mpg! And 754miles from a tank!! This was all done with the cruise control set to 80 with sat nav confirmed 75, but the main thing to help bump up your mpg, quite simply is engine braking!! I almost never use my brakes as i'm constantly looking for slowin traffic and adjusting my speed via dropping gears, works wonders, and also 6th gear at 50mph through roadworks- gets over 99mpg!!

next up are some forte additives, better oil, will see what this does, and later will be a de-cat, Fst intercooler with a proper RR re-map.
I shall add posts later with photos of my results if you want?
Hi, post pics will be grate,

Grate MPG you got, i only ever get 40-45 mpg all locale driving though, except last week, i used almost half a tank and only did 100 odd miles, i knew something was wrong as i could hear air leaking out from some where, it turned out to be a split hose going to the inlet manifold, (no EGR) i never fixed it straight away, but i would of if I'd known it would drastically reduce my MPG by that much.

Do you live in Ipswich?

·
real corporal
277 Posts
I'll get pics up soon, but yeah i work in ipswich and basically live there, most of my driving gettin these high figures is driving steady on dual carriageway or Mway.
i'm really suprised at some peoples figures on here, i was convinced i was doing poorly!! Lol

·
Big Megger
325 Posts
I'll get pics up soon, but yeah i work in ipswich and basically live there, most of my driving gettin these high figures is driving steady on dual carriageway or Mway.
i'm really suprised at some peoples figures on here, i was convinced i was doing poorly!! Lol
Small world, I've lived here all my life

·
real corporal
277 Posts
I've been here the past two years, and will be here at least another two lol, determined to make it as easy on the wallet as possible, although i need the power too as driving on my local roads in scotland involves overtaking many many slow vehicles, damn oaps!!

oh and will do photos when i get to computer, cant do this on phone

·
5 Posts
Sorry for the long post, but I thought this may help others disillusioned with their poor TDCI fuel econonomy! OK, we bought our first mondeo and first diesel about 3 weeks ago, a ghia x estate 2004, 2.0 TDCI.

Two owner car, full sh,67k miles, when I viewed it trip computer showed a lowly 34.5mpg! Woman who owned it did 25 mile commute, often in traffic, so I thought that it may be better on a run!

No smoke, nice and smooth running, no issues apparent from test drive (motorwise) so I bought it.

When I collected it, typica, it was out of diesel, light on 30 miles to out, so I filled it and drove home. Reset trip on Mway and was disspointed to see it only rise to 40mpg at 70 odd!!

First tank was 400 miles only, and fill to fill mpg was a lowly 34.5mpg, trip showed 38.3. Mixture of driving, but not raggin it, I kneew it was not right.

USed the excellent MEG forum to find some possible issues. Each little thing I did made it a bit better! Car was checked and showed no fault codes, worth remembering as clearly there were issues with it!

First, cleaned EGR valve, inlet and MAF/ IAT. There was a huge amount of gunk in there, very oily and a big build up, particlarly the manifold. I thought, "cracked it". A test drive showed some improvement in smootheness and a bit of a perfornmance improvment, but not as much as I though it would do! I then fitted a new fuel filter, dropped the oil and changed that with filter and fitted a new air filter, to get all the basics done.

Anyway, I found a good place to test mpg, a round trip of 28 miles between two mway junctions, there and back to get rid of the "hill effect". I used tomtom gps to set crusie at exactly 70mph, aircon on 19 degrees eco, got up to speed from the slip road and hit crusie. 28 miles later, trip showed 43.4mpg!

An improvement, but more to come I felt!

Next I tried bluefin on it. Superchips are not far away, so I went along they installed it, I had a 7 day return no quibble guarantee!

Went back home, quite smokey with the bluefin, but decided to do a back to back on and off econ test on same route.

deinstalled bluefin, car did 44.1mpg on route, (remarkably colse to a couple of days before!)

Installed bluefin on the mway bridge, re did it, trip showed 47.9mpg!

Woohoo, getting there, BUT was it the trip kidding me, ie increased fuel pressure kidding the trip...?? Superchips said not, but I thought I would check. I did three trips docklands and north london, brim to light then back to brim, and it was exactly 500.6 miles, took 54.2 litres and I worked that out at 40.95mpg. Trip for this 500 miles showed average of 44.3mpg, so considering the initial 38readin vs 34.5 actual, I figured the bluefin is NOT kiddinf the trip meter and the bluefin showed a definate improvement on cruise.

But I felt there was more to come!

Last weekend, I made an EGR blanking plate. I could not belive how much crap there was in the EGR after only 550miles since the last clean! It was half a mill thick!! I did not remove inlet, although i did spray a load of carb cleaner up there!! The oily deposits made me think there was a lot of unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

With EGR blanked, same route, same conditions, trip showed 49.1mpg!! A good 1.5mpg improvement, and some near 15% since the EGR clean was completed.

I thought there ws more to come!! My years workign tweaking and tuning VWs meant I was aware of the brand's huge problem with MAFs. I had cleaned mine, but it was orginal and 4 years old now. 68k miles takes its toll. So I browbeat the dealer into doing me one at pretty much cost, and ordered one (£79!) As it is a combined inlet air temp sensor too, I felt sure it may show an imporvement. Remember though, there was no fault codes on this car ever!

Fitted it this morning, I could tell it made a difference to the performance immediately, it had a huge kick in the pants at 2500 now! reset the trip and mpg, drove to the shell garage in flowing traffic to fill up, it was showing over 60mpg on arival, but this was 50mph stuff! I went to the Mway, did the test route and it was 53.1mpg on the computer!! Gettign there!!

This afternoon I fitted the new front discs and pads I ordered as I noticed the ns front was a bit binding when I did the engine service.

Just did the economy test run and it did 54.7mpg with the new discs on!

So I reckon the 54.7 is a proper 50mpg+. Bearing in mind we began 1600 miles ago with 34.5,and even afteer the EGR clean the computer said only 44mpg, (c.40.5 actual), I think this is a real improvement!

I hope this will help others in their quest for lost MPG! I am now very happy indeed with my purchase! !! ! The MAF in particular brightened the car up no end.

Next it will be one of Graemewelch's decat pipes. I hope with this (beaering in mind the crud that is probably in the cat with all the rich running in the past) I will be able to get over 55mpg on the display at a proper gPS 70mph! We'll see!

·
5 Posts
Havent been on the site in ages! but what a time to log on my son is giving me his Ghia X tdci estate when he retires
His engine has been chipped and showing an average of just under 50mpg but I will certainly try some of these tips!
This is an improvement of 10mpg incidently. my old mk1 1.8td probably does 40ish never really checked it as I got that
one for nothing too from a neighbour!! pays to be a poor pensioner sometimes. Bye the way it still drives like new but I put
that down to a FULL history as he had had it from new.One of the best cars Ive ever been given!!!

·
Old Skool Megger
90 Posts
I have recently just got 712 miles out of a tank of diesel, this was driving at 70mph and I achieved 53 MPG, trip said 64 MPG, this was with my car running cold, i changed oil coiler thermostat which made no difference so changed main thermostat which corrected over cooling. Trip now reading 55mpg so i think its a lot better.
How the hell are you getting these mpg figures, i can only get 320 miles to a tank 130 tdci, my v6 does nearly that, very disappointed with the fuel economy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

I do 150 miles a day and according to the trip I'm getting 67.4mpg as of this morning. The scientifically proven, and best way to get the most mpg is to accelerate gently, use the highest gear possible for the speed of the road and to aim to hold the revs where the maximum torque is achieved (this will be in your handbook). Of course, this is nice and easy if you've got cruise control. Mine is a TDCI 130 6 speed so if I'm on a national speed limit A road I stick it in 5th and about 52/53mph (on the clock), or on the motorway I have it in 6th doing 66/67mph.

I've only just started driving this way, before it was accelerating how ever I felt like, and doing more or less the speed limit, but never usually driving like a maniac - and I was geting an average of 55mpg on the trip, so about an 18% improvement on what I thought was conservative driving anyway was a real bonus!

Then I started to read this post and saw the horrific pics of people's EGRs and manifolds, and dread to think what mine must look like - it's been a rep mobile all it's life and 90k on the clock so it's not going to be pretty! A job for my days off then, and hopefully I can add a few more mpg to my running average. With fuel prices going through the roof, I can't afford not to!

·
ME
5,869 Posts
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

I do 150 miles a day and according to the trip I'm getting 67.4mpg as of this morning. The scientifically proven, and best way to get the most mpg is to accelerate gently, use the highest gear possible for the speed of the road and to aim to hold the revs where the maximum torque is achieved (this will be in your handbook). Of course, this is nice and easy if you've got cruise control. Mine is a TDCI 130 6 speed so if I'm on a national speed limit A road I stick it in 5th and about 52/53mph (on the clock), or on the motorway I have it in 6th doing 66/67mph.

I've only just started driving this way, before it was accelerating how ever I felt like, and doing more or less the speed limit, but never usually driving like a maniac - and I was geting an average of 55mpg on the trip, so about an 18% improvement on what I thought was conservative driving anyway was a real bonus!

Then I started to read this post and saw the horrific pics of people's EGRs and manifolds, and dread to think what mine must look like - it's been a rep mobile all it's life and 90k on the clock so it's not going to be pretty! A job for my days off then, and hopefully I can add a few more mpg to my running average. With fuel prices going through the roof, I can't afford not to!
That's impressive, chances are as the weather gets warmer and no cold mornings your mpg should improve more anyway. Last summer, when I fist bought my ST TDCi, I had alot of motorway driving to do on top of my normal commute to work, because of road widening on the M25 and amount of traffic, I never got above 60mph much and had to travel at 50mph through road works, but all this was in 6th with cruise control on and I got 721 miles from a tank before fuel light came on, that was an average of 59.5mpg, my normal commute to work produced an average 52.5 mpg. I've since installed a decat, forge boost pipes and an Airtec intercooler and will be having a remap at some point in the future, so with more torque, if I can be persuaded to not make use of the extra bhp for a while, I expect to see an improvment in my fuel consumption figures.

·
Back in a Ford!!!
512 Posts
Sorry for the long post, but I thought this may help others disillusioned with their poor TDCI fuel econonomy! OK, we bought our first mondeo and first diesel about 3 weeks ago, a ghia x estate 2004, 2.0 TDCI.

Two owner car, full sh,67k miles, when I viewed it trip computer showed a lowly 34.5mpg! Woman who owned it did 25 mile commute, often in traffic, so I thought that it may be better on a run!

No smoke, nice and smooth running, no issues apparent from test drive (motorwise) so I bought it.

When I collected it, typica, it was out of diesel, light on 30 miles to out, so I filled it and drove home. Reset trip on Mway and was disspointed to see it only rise to 40mpg at 70 odd!!

First tank was 400 miles only, and fill to fill mpg was a lowly 34.5mpg, trip showed 38.3. Mixture of driving, but not raggin it, I kneew it was not right.

USed the excellent MEG forum to find some possible issues. Each little thing I did made it a bit better! Car was checked and showed no fault codes, worth remembering as clearly there were issues with it!

First, cleaned EGR valve, inlet and MAF/ IAT. There was a huge amount of gunk in there, very oily and a big build up, particlarly the manifold. I thought, "cracked it". A test drive showed some improvement in smootheness and a bit of a perfornmance improvment, but not as much as I though it would do! I then fitted a new fuel filter, dropped the oil and changed that with filter and fitted a new air filter, to get all the basics done.

Anyway, I found a good place to test mpg, a round trip of 28 miles between two mway junctions, there and back to get rid of the "hill effect". I used tomtom gps to set crusie at exactly 70mph, aircon on 19 degrees eco, got up to speed from the slip road and hit crusie. 28 miles later, trip showed 43.4mpg!

An improvement, but more to come I felt!

Next I tried bluefin on it. Superchips are not far away, so I went along they installed it, I had a 7 day return no quibble guarantee!

Went back home, quite smokey with the bluefin, but decided to do a back to back on and off econ test on same route.

deinstalled bluefin, car did 44.1mpg on route, (remarkably colse to a couple of days before!)

Installed bluefin on the mway bridge, re did it, trip showed 47.9mpg!

Woohoo, getting there, BUT was it the trip kidding me, ie increased fuel pressure kidding the trip...?? Superchips said not, but I thought I would check. I did three trips docklands and north london, brim to light then back to brim, and it was exactly 500.6 miles, took 54.2 litres and I worked that out at 40.95mpg. Trip for this 500 miles showed average of 44.3mpg, so considering the initial 38readin vs 34.5 actual, I figured the bluefin is NOT kiddinf the trip meter and the bluefin showed a definate improvement on cruise.

But I felt there was more to come!

Last weekend, I made an EGR blanking plate. I could not belive how much crap there was in the EGR after only 550miles since the last clean! It was half a mill thick!! I did not remove inlet, although i did spray a load of carb cleaner up there!! The oily deposits made me think there was a lot of unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

With EGR blanked, same route, same conditions, trip showed 49.1mpg!! A good 1.5mpg improvement, and some near 15% since the EGR clean was completed.

I thought there ws more to come!! My years workign tweaking and tuning VWs meant I was aware of the brand's huge problem with MAFs. I had cleaned mine, but it was orginal and 4 years old now. 68k miles takes its toll. So I browbeat the dealer into doing me one at pretty much cost, and ordered one (£79!) As it is a combined inlet air temp sensor too, I felt sure it may show an imporvement. Remember though, there was no fault codes on this car ever!

Fitted it this morning, I could tell it made a difference to the performance immediately, it had a huge kick in the pants at 2500 now! reset the trip and mpg, drove to the shell garage in flowing traffic to fill up, it was showing over 60mpg on arival, but this was 50mph stuff! I went to the Mway, did the test route and it was 53.1mpg on the computer!! Gettign there!!

This afternoon I fitted the new front discs and pads I ordered as I noticed the ns front was a bit binding when I did the engine service.

Just did the economy test run and it did 54.7mpg with the new discs on!

So I reckon the 54.7 is a proper 50mpg+. Bearing in mind we began 1600 miles ago with 34.5,and even afteer the EGR clean the computer said only 44mpg, (c.40.5 actual), I think this is a real improvement!

I hope this will help others in their quest for lost MPG! I am now very happy indeed with my purchase! !! ! The MAF in particular brightened the car up no end.

Next it will be one of Graemewelch's decat pipes. I hope with this (beaering in mind the crud that is probably in the cat with all the rich running in the past) I will be able to get over 55mpg on the display at a proper gPS 70mph! We'll see!
[/quote]

I'd love to get 400 miles on a full tank.... Half a tank (£40) 2 weeks ago - tried out Shell V Power (thought I'd try it) got me 170 odd miles... Unless I brim the tank and check the MPG that way I cant even check it any other way as my Mondy doesnt have a trip computer...... Ah well, rant over...

·
Little Megger
23 Posts
Hi All,

Great thread, heres my findings so far. Been keeping a log of fuel consumption over past few months with fuel prices where they are now!!

From what I've been reading, mine is poor! I do however only do round town, stop start with the odd run now and again.

Actual MPG calculated by starting with a full tank (to one click), driving till fuel light comes on, filling again to one click and noting the number of litres & miles done, then dividing the number of mile by number of gallons.

Last couple of tanks:

Tank1
50% Motorway 50% round town miles
Display MPG - 35.2
Actual MPG - 34.93
Avg Speed - 29MPH

Tank2
all round town miles
Display MPG - 34.3
Actual MPG - 25.19
Avg Speed - 16MPH

Serviced about 4 months ago, new fuel, oil, air and full oil change.

Next I'm gonna clear the EGR and MAF and see if that improves

What MPG should I be expecting for round town/short trips?? Any ideas?

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi folks, great forum and great thread, inspired me to post my findings...

Bought a 55 plate tdci (64k on the clock) Mondeo Ghia last week, had it serviced prior to collection, took it from Glasgow to Manchester and back and averaged 65mpg, driving at 60 on the motorway. Very pleased with this considering my last car averaged 25mpg at same speeds.

I'll check out the EGR and MAF in a month or two, clean them up and see what happens. I've always run Redex in my diesel and I'll do the same with the Mondeo.

Sooooo impressed with this car, wish I'd bought one years ago.

Cleggy.

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
Lots of information in the WIKI for many fixes and just how to's for many jobs, Link below and at the top of every page.

·
Registered
132 Posts
After trawling through this thread yesterday, I decided to take my MAF sensor out of my 2007 Mondeo TitX 2.0TDCi to have a look as I am not completely happy about its MPG around town.

Last top up I put in from almost empty £50 of Diesel at £1.38 p/l

That got me 280 miles and was about half a tank. I worked it out to be around 35mpg. Now I do a lot of mostly "urban" driving and very very little in the way of A roads or Dual carrage/Motorway so I wasnt expecting it to be exactly brilliant. Please tell me if you think I am expecting too much but I was hoping for about 40mpg.

I dont drive it hard and am quite fuel concious so I thought I would give the MAF a check and a clean. So I bought some electrical contact cleaner and got home last night and took a look at it. Now this is the first time ive looked at a MAF so not sure what I was expecting to see "cleanliness" wise on the thin metal contacts but what I discovered was out of the 2 I could see, the back one was very clean and shiny (also the thinnest wire) however the front one seemed to look quite tarnished almost. Now after reading horror stories about damaging them I was very reluctant to even spray the contact cleaner on it but eventualy got the courage and done it. Didnt seem to make much difference to be honest and I feel that to get it clean it would need a cotton bud or something gentle to just rub it slightly but I was far to nervous to even attempt that! Should prbably mention the cars done 60k miles at this point.

So does anyone have any recommendations about cleaning it to get it more shiny without damaging it? Im thinking of replacing it but they arent exactly cheap. Or is the tarnished look of the front sensor normal? or should it be shiny and silver?

Thanks

Matt

181 - 200 of 226 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.