Ford Automobiles Forum banner
201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi matt the mpg urban is good m8 that's about it, I find I change gear just before or on 2000 rpm and that keeps it low. reference your MAF the colour of the wires may differ but as long as it's clean and by that I mean if you looked at a dirty one it would be all sooty and you would hardly be able to distinguish the wire from the dirt around it, it seems that this is not the case and that's it, if its clean then that's great as for the tarnish that's fine. The sooty black deposit is the issue. If yours has no sooty black deposits on it then its fine.

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
Changing gear before 2000rpm will be below the powerband for the next gear so the car will
have to work harder to build speed.

I did a few quick tests. 40mph in 4th = 11% throttle usage, Same stretch in 5th gear 40mph
throttle usage went upto 18%.

So i was actually pushing the throttle down further because it needed more torque for 40mpg in 5th gear.

Also explains why i get better fuel consumption at 50mph in 5th that i do in 6th.

6th is for 60+, Even then its borderline. 70, 80+ it actually works.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thats would kind of exlplain why I get better consumption doing 30 in 3rd and only change to 4th when at 40 or above.

How do you know how much throttle you are using?

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
OBDII code reader plugged in whilst i was driving.

The old saying change up asap for best economy doesnt apply to the mondeo, And
probably a lot of cars these days as the gearing gets taller.

It probably works on old 70's cars with 4 gears and geared for a top speed of 100mph.

But when its geared for 140mph+ with very high ratio's its all changed.

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
Probably, You need to try it.

Different gearing on the MK4 and different tyre sizes.

Got the fuel computer? Find a stretch of road. Set the cruise to 40mph. reset the computers
average mpg and do it in 4th gear. Then turn round repeat in 5th gear.

If you can do several clear runs on the same day without turning the engine off so that the cruise
is fixed to the same speed.

See how the MPG compares. Try it at 50 and 60mph in 6th also.

If you want you can get an OBDII code reader with live data to check all the figures also.

·
got enough names thanks
1,717 Posts
Very informative and (maybe there are moles) but this thread seems very similar to another thread I have read..... both on diesels and both of them involved a Superchips re-map...who knows ...who cares anymore!!!

R U subscribing moles into TalkFord? SuperChips....R ..U?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im getting a measly 37/42mpg so some engine tinkering is going to be needed, i was getting around 50 with my old mondeo and even managed 600+ miles on one tank full.

Regards
Mark

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mine averages 40-43 town driving and mine has got decat and bigger intercooler and egr blank which made my mpg alot better was only getting 37 mpg before but I am thinking my rear brakes need changing will this affect my mpg

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

·
Registered
515 Posts
If your brakes are sticking, or causing any additional friction/drag while driving then yeah that will reduce your mpg

Sent from my GT-I9300

·
Registered
515 Posts
Wouldn't have thought they'd really make any difference to your mpg then mate, one way though is use your brakes less buy judging the road ahead!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300

·
lolbro
58 Posts
Big Megger "cheaper than Ford" just reminded me of a recent

water pipe replacement, a return to the header tank from the

nearside of the engine (??) anyway its over a metre in length

I was recommended to NPA motor factors (with whom I have

no connection) A two metre length (9mm) and two jubilee clips

cost me £4.03. Thats four pounds and thre pence !

·
Registered
111 Posts
hi just read through the full thread and i must say an excellent read .ive had my mondy a 04 2.0l zetec for about 3 months now .i have seemed to cure its boost problems still i belive i could improve it with the turbo clean mr muscle method as there is still a little drop off in power when climbing hills and long inclines ,more than i would expect .any way re the fuel economy .i am more than pleased with mine ,i take little notice of the dash readout ,as i see motorway running at 70ish about 75 up to 80 mpg and local running anything up to 68 mpg yes ??? although the read out showing miles to the next refueling seems pretty accurate .i only go on the amount of fuel i put in and the miles i do on it my findings are as follows 40quids worth of supermarket stuff £1.34litre and a run from south wales to barking london at the speed limits when i can and i get over 400 miles usualy ,can be + or - 5 miles or so done this regular about twice a week very with little variation , local running on a tenner i can average about 75 miles between refills . my maf has been cleaned with carb cleaner ,egr cleaned not blanked ,the inlet man has to be cleaned as yet ,its full of thick black oily gunge as was the egr .i suspect at some time its had a turbo problem as its had a recent new one .all the boost pipes look clean enough up to the egr a little oily but ok dont know about the intercooler by the way it had 113k + on when i bought it and now has 119k + on now. temperature is good showing about central on the gauge and quick warm up and according to some paperwork its had its injectors replaced some 18 months ago aswell as the turbo , . megga bucks

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
They're the best tdci mk3s to buy. The "golden egg laying goose" of them all would be one that's had a new turbo, injectors and a new dmf.

You've been very lucky to get hold of one that's had some of the most troublesome components replaced.

Usually it's a fueling issue that then causes the Turbo to soot up. Depends on what was replaced first as to if your turbo would need cleaning. If they replaced the Turbo before the injectors then the new turbo would be getting contaminated by the old, worn injectors.

Brim to Brim is the best way to calculate fuel usage, I agree. I do find the dash readout on my mk4 to be accurate +/-4 mpg or so. I've had it read a 53 mpg average over a tank several times and sometimes Brim to Brin has worked out around 55-56mpg,other times 49 mpg or so. Town driving does use more fuel. Especially in the mk4,a lot of town driving can mean mid 40s or lower, as the car is heavy and takes more fuel than some to get it moving and up to speed, only to have to stop again very shortly. It seems to me your dash readout is very optimistic.

Your buildup of crap in the inlet manifold is normal. Egr plus oil from the pcv and some which naturally passes the Turbo seals covers it in a thick gunge. Also normal to have a thin layer in the boost pipes. The intercooler will have some in it too. Usually not enough to harm performance. Cleaning the intake won't hurt though, good preventative maintenance is always good.

Re the drop in power, if you change to 5th during inclines does it help? Some I've spoken to regarding the mk4 expected their car to pull well in 6th from 60 mph, where as in reality one is better off using 6th as a cruising gear. I don't bother with 6th until I hit 70mph, and only keep hold of it on the flat and minor inclines, otherwise I'll k oak it into 5th and the engine is much happier. I do honestly find BP ultimate makes a difference to how long I have to hold a gear /in gear times. No way for me to prove that though, and each to their own.

Glad you're having a positive experience with your mk3. They are good cars, just prone to a few problems that have expensive component and labour charges attached to them, unfortunately.

·
Registered
111 Posts
when i got the car it was a 200 quid save it from the scrappy car ,the last owner said he was sick of the problems it was giving him and the boost /power loss was the last straw .power on the flat was good no probs ,but climbing inclines or hills it was dire down to second and full throttle was the only way at times and you could feel a sudden loss of turbo boost .but i have repaired the electronic turbo actuator and replaced the turbo boost sensor/sloenoid on the front of the engine ,the one with three vac pipes and electrical connection ? anyway now it is reletevely happy i can get away with 4th gear on some rather steep hills we have down here in south wales ,but on long inclines i still notice a distinct power loss but if i back of the throttle it seems as if i get some power back , its still a work in progress car ,not spending too much cash on it untill the mot end of august ,then if all is ok i will treat it to a new clutch and other bits a bobs it wants some pics of it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
You're definitely in the right place for help and advice on the mk3.

All problems are fixable. It's hard sometimes to diagnose what is causing them. The previous owner didn't have the benefit of this site. They maybe also didn't have the drive and inclination to look into things.

Have a look around for others that may have had the same issues. Start a thread on your quest to restore your lost power too, lots of people will be guaranteed to respond. Lots of guys on here that love a puzzle and are good at helping solve them.

The power loss could be a few things. Leak test of injectors may be useful to eliminate possible issues regardless of their age. Injector coding checks could also be interesting. Mr Muscle in the Turbo definitely won't hurt and even if it doesn't help, drilling and tapping g the Turbo housing is fine and doesn't present any issues if done carefully.

You mention clutch... That also could cause issues. Usually one can tell as the revs rise disproportionately to Road speed etc.

You'll get it running perfect with some investigation, I'm sure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
had some good advice from good members on a few probs ,like the turbo actuator fixed for nothing unless you factor in the soldering iron a quid from the car boot and another quid for solder and egr clean and the turbo clean to do yet and inlet manifold to do .i used to be a mechanic so i am not afraid to get down and dirty ,but advice on the car from others is invaluable aswell ,anyway hopefully i will get many years of service out of this mondy that's worth a bob or two spent on it . its a lovely economical and comfy car and the first mondeo i have owned ,i have done a few 500 mile round trips in the day and still got out at the end feeling unstressed and not at all tired thanks all

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Well done mate. Like to see people do their research and then get 'er done.

You've saved yourself no end of cash by the sound of it.

201 - 220 of 226 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.