Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Little Megger
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully the title is pretty self explanatory.

Started today, on the motorway, I noticed that my right hand indicator was on. I cancelled it, and wondered how long I'd left it on! Yet no more than a minute later, it was on again.

It got worse, and by the end of the day, it comes on at the slightest bump. If I indicate and then turn left, when the stalk cancels itself, it goes ends up activating the right indicator.

Note, the stalk doesn't go into the locked right position, but appears to be activating anyway. As of now, it's impossible to keep it off, unless I apply a slight downwards pressure on the stalk. Makes driving very difficult.

I've also noticed that it's activated the offside parking lights now, so I'll probably get a flat battery before I know it.

Has anyone else experienced this? My Mondeo is a MK4 07 Zetec TDCI - One of the early ones. 71,000 miles done.

What would I need to replace/fix, and is it something that's I might be able to do myself?

·
Megger
262 Posts
2 screws under the steering column to remove the top and bottom cover then 2 screws to remove the switch.

Here is part of a guide I did for the S-Max OC:

If the lever assembly is worn, you will need a new switch.

·
Little Megger
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 screws under the steering column to remove the top and bottom cover then 2 screws to remove the switch.

Thanks. I replaced the switch - £40 from the local dealer.

The 'screws' under the steering column were one torx head and one hex head.

Once the cover was removed, there were two screws holding the switch/stalk in place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem and found the advice here very helpful.
Here's some more info.
The two halves of the plastic cover are clipped together at the steering wheel end. Use a flat tool to press the top half inwards away from the steeing wheel. This should release the clips allowing the two parts to hinge apart at the dashboard end.
I bought a new switch, £45, from a dealer, fitting it was simple. The mounting screws are T10 Torx.

·
Megger
157 Posts
My 2008 TitX started exhibiting the same problems as above - rh indicator turning on itself/indicator not working/parking light switching on when parked!
With the help of this thread I removed the unit and cleaned the switch plates with electrical contact cleaner and so far so good, all's working as it should be

15 minute job with the correct tools as outlined above.

Reactions: kevinbuchta

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to Steve TR for the tip about cleaing up the circuit board - that worked well
I wasn't sure how to remove the indicator stalk without damaging the assembly and Herts hammer's tip on which screws to remove helped.
Fixed that 1 month ago and the problem is definitely resolved.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Nice attention to detail with that storyboard guide there.

·
Little Megger
36 Posts
I've the opposite problem. Ford mondeo 2010. Indicator stalk question. Stalk moved down to turning left position intermittently fails to start indicators. Common problem? Will taking apart and cleaning it help or should I replace part?

·
Clever Clauggs
4,679 Posts
Best clean and check it first as it doesn't take long.

If you buy a new part then find it has not fixed the problem

(like i have done in past problems)it will waste more time and money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have this issue on my Mondeo Mk4 (2012) with the RH Indicator coming on, day time running lights/rear brake light staying on etc.

I'm trying to perform the fix in this thread but one screen is a Torx one - removed that one fine. But the other one I'm unsure what it is but it has the heading on it of EJOT PT10. Any ideas? This is an image of it

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thank you so much for your guide, seems to have worked well, didn't have to buy a part, lights no longer coming on and draining battery. A very annoying little problem that I'm sure will have seen some perfectly good cars scrapped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts