Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving house to Wilmington, Kent. The house has an inspection pit in the garage, but it looks like it has just been dug-out and left.

I need to do some work on it - the sides need squaring up. I havent moved yet - so I havent had a really good look at it, but it seems to have no re-inforcement. Its about 4 feet deep.

Do you think I will need to widen it and make a wooden cage to support the sides? Or does anyone have a pit they made themselves?

I was thinking of widening it by 6 or 9" each side and making a ply-wood frame which I would fill behind with concrete. Would that be enough support to make it safe?

Thanks

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
that sounds fine for the support of the sides, but wood will rot so are you using the ply just for shuttering or permanent? you could build the walls up in concrete blockwork.

the most important bit is tanking the sides and the pit floor with something like a Marley or RIW membrane tanking system (you should be able to buy the rolls of the stuff and accessories from any builders merchant). you can also get "painted on" tanking systems which aint cheap but they do work if done properly, the only problem is that they leave the pit walls permanently damp. its best IMHO to put the tanking behind the walls.

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ply would just be shuttering and later removed.

So 6" of concrete would be ok to hold all that earth back? I might use rebar aswell - is that overkill?

Is it stupid to dig it out to about 6'? Or would I need some professional help? I dont want the sides to fall in!

Thanks for getting back to me.

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
yes use reinforcement bar aswell, i will double check if 6" of conc is OK but it should be fine. should be OK digging it out to 6foot but its not something i know much about so you should maybe consult a builder, do it in sections and plenty of shuttering/struts while you dig it out!

p.s. to get rid of the earth you dig out you could have that system in your trouser pockets like on the great escape where you release the bags of earth as your walking about lol

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll probably put it behind me..... :doh:

Where do you buy small quantities of rebar? And I think ill stick to 5' - just remembered the car is about a foot off the ground!

Thanks

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
rebar comes in square panels about 6' square minimum IIRC, but they are only about £10 a panel

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I have been back to measure the pit.

It is 4ft deep, by 7ft by 2' 6"

The photos are attached.

I dont want to dig it any deeper now - its ok as it is, but I'm worried to disturb the sides because the house is only 3feet away.

What do you think I should do to it? rebar and concete is my view, but is it ok to dig the sides back a little to take 6" of concrete?

Would a wooden cage be a better or worse idea?

Thanks

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.