Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Little Megger
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I have this in the correct place but no doubt one of the moderators will move it if they think it belongs elsewhere

I got an Alek Peper OBD2 Scantool from USA that reads the Fault Codes on the OBD2 equipped Mondeos. Its meant to connect to an RS232 port but most new laptops don't have this connection anymore so I got a USB to RS232 Adapater. Try as I might I could not get it to connect and read the data.
After contacting the adapter manufacturers and also The suppliers of the Scantool software OBD-2.com finally got things sorted.
The driver software set up my "converted" USB port as COM4 (even tho I only have 3 USB ports on my laptop!!).You can check by right click on My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device manager/Ports/.

I then checked the OBD2 software In scan tool
program-options-gateway-interface, set to same Port number as above number and uncheck use direct ISO.

Oh and don't forget to make sure you have your Registration Code loaded otherwise it will never work.

Fired it up last night to check and it gave the same result as I got from an old laptop with striaght RS232 Port - Error Code 0708... so it looks like MLPS needs replacing. Have got one coming tomorrow morning and I'll fit that and hopefully all my troubles with erratic shifting will be over.

Hope this helps others out there.I can recommend the tool & the software

Best of all I got my parts at Ford Dealer price.. have a spare LIM gasket set and Vehicle Speed Sensor if any NZ lister is having trouble getting them...PM me and I'll let you have them at the Dealer price as I am not into making money from fellow listers.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
in the drivers footwell on the panel near the pedals above them.

·
MEG Corporal
631 Posts
dunno about Mk3, but Mk2 and early Mk1 use a non standard configuration for the OBD, if your scanner is anything like my elm scanners, you need 3 different ones if you want to read all OBDII diagnostics.

i cant remember exactly what the difference was, but something like the fords use a different data pin, possibley a differnt data format, then you get a protocol and scanner for all the GM and derivitive models, then one for the jap stuff. i think thats what they were, but im sure google will hold the answers.

.......Because Google Cares

·
Little Megger
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my scantool 2nd hand from Contour Enthusiasts Group for $US60. A single type is about $US$120, dual $US140 and triple $US160. If you go to www.obd-2.com it will explain all the details and the types that you need for various cars. No good for Mk1 Mondeo I think as you need OBD2 port. The software is free to download and play with - you don't need the tool until you want to connect to your car...and the tool comes with the registration code to activate the tool - no code no workee!!
I think there are places where you can buy the bits to make your own scan tool but you'd need to know what you were doing...easier to buy.

Oh and you need a laptop(preferably) or a PC with RS232 port- most new laptops only have USB and that means you need a USB/RS232 adapter and they are about $NZ40. You will have to Google for your own units and prices locally.Or you could pick up an old PC and stick it in your garage, use a long RS232 cable and small monitor and stick your Ford TIS software (oops-not supposed to have that!) on it too and use it as your "workshop Manual")
Hope this Helps
And its no good for reprogramming the ECU (like Superchips) as it just reads error codes. I know coz my neighbour is local Superchips Agent!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.