Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who wants to use my car. He swears blind that he is insured to drive ANY car, even though he doesn't actually own a car himself.

Ultimately I'll ask to see his certificate of insurance but I was wondering if this type of car insurance was even possible? Could I get insured to drive any car if I didn't even own one? If so, approximately how much would a policy like that cost for an experienced driver?

He's a bit of a bulls**r but I don't want to offend him by asking (yet).

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,458 Posts
If you own a car and insure it comprehensive, most, repeat most, policies (read the policy schedule/document) will allow you to drive, with their permission, someone elses veh providing that veh is also insured by said person giving you authority.

Also, it will only be Third Party Ins you have if driving someone elses car so thats a major consideration, so if your driver has an accident and it is his fault your repairs will NOT be paid for. It is a massive risk allowing someone else to drive your car unless they are named on your own policy

In all my years I have never heard of someone having an insurance policy if they have no veh, after all, you need to register the reg etc with them.

Obviously it is a different matter if they own a legitimate garage/car sales and have a traders policy.

Thats why I could never understand the police releasing a car from their compound when the owner turns up with a mate who is insured to drive any car - but thats only if it is insured by the owner, and if it was the police would not have taken it off him - crazy, even the police don't know what they are doing half the time. They might have stopped allowing it now.

Pls let us know the outcome, interested to know, thanks

Reactions: coalvilledave

·
8 gears or more please
5,458 Posts
It is only a matter of courtesy that he should show you proof.

However, another point in this terrible day and age. A paper ins schedule or document means nothing (that is why the police don't use them when they stop you)

A person can still have the documents but they could have cancelled the policy or have it on monthly payments which they have not kept up - hence policy is void/not in force

·
Big Megger
3,044 Posts
I have a friend who wants to use my car. He swears blind that he is insured to drive ANY car, even though he doesn't actually own a car himself.

Ultimately I'll ask to see his certificate of insurance but I was wondering if this type of car insurance was even possible? Could I get insured to drive any car if I didn't even own one? If so, approximately how much would a policy like that cost for an experienced driver?

He's a bit of a bulls**r but I don't want to offend him by asking (yet).
If he hasn't any insurance and you allow him to drive it, he gets pulled over and you get done for permit no insurance.
Best to say the wife says no. :)

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,104 Posts
The only policy that covers any car would be a motor traders policy as far as I am aware.

My policy allows me to drive any other car but only if that other car is also insured, I have the owners permission etc, even then I only get third party cover on their car.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,364 Posts
Dave ask your own insurer if its possible as you need to be sure and not leave it to mates hearsay.

then let your mate know,-how much extra it costs to put him on your insurance for days used.

Choice is lose your car or lose your mate.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Hi

I think if you use your policy to drive another car without informing the insurance company, you drive on the very basic third party. This is third party injury insurance,

I believe you will be still be responsible for any third party vehicle damage, If accident is judged to be your fault.

Of course it is years since I have read all the small print and an expert on car insurance may tell me I am talking a load of tosh.

Peter

·
8 gears or more please
5,458 Posts
If he is a "real mate" you won't lose him. Other than that I would tell him to do one.

Raynkar is quite correct, same as I have also said

·
My name is Ken and I'm cool
312 Posts
Beware: insurers are quietly scrapping the drive-other-cars-third-party provision, so you need to look in the fine print if you think you are insured to drive other cars.

I don't see how this bloke can be covered at all if he is not the registered keeper of a car himself (unless he is a trader, and even then wouldn't it be limited to vehicles connected with his business?).

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,260 Posts
A friend of mine has trade insurance and it looks pretty good. He has an app on his phone, he pops in the vehicle reg and away he goes. There are drawbacks such as he doesn't earn any ncb. He and his brother are on it and it works out pretty cheap about £200 each if remember rightly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies - very helpful as always.

@Ben - don't you need to actually BE a trader to get trade insurance? insurance companies ask for the business details, premises, etc?

·
3,260 Posts
Thanks for all the replies - very helpful as always.

@Ben - don't you need to actually BE a trader to get trade insurance? insurance companies ask for the business details, premises, etc?
I think they use a friends business details if I remember rightly but yes I think you are right and do need some sort of business although I could be wrong, I don't think you need a business to have trade plates do you? I could be far wrong

·
8 gears or more please
5,458 Posts
Ben, sounds like your friends are "winging it" to me. That's all well and good (well not really) until a major accident and insurers and police do a full investigation.

Do your friends actually own a car sales/repair garage and work at their registered business address.

Yes, again, trade plates - you need to have a business - that's who they are registered to

I prefer to be 100% legal myself, but that's me

·
3,260 Posts
Yes I'm always legal, I'd rather have a clear conscience that I'm fully covered. My mate is a bit of a 'del boy' and very money orientated but like you say I'm sure it'll catch him out 1 day. I really need to choose my friends more wisely I think haha he doesn't have a business but think he sponges from a friend who is a registered trader. I have pre warned him that if he ever bumps into my car that he needn't worry about insurance because he'll struggle to give details when he's drinking his Sunday dinner through a straw. I don't think he's ever been all above board haha each to their own

Reactions: mondy zetecs

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Hi

The important point to remember is if your friend was pulled over driving your car, then could not prove correct insurance.

It would be your car that would be confiscated.

Peter

·
3,260 Posts
Hi

The important point to remember is if your friend was pulled over driving your car, then could not prove correct insurance.

It would be your car that would be confiscated.

Peter
In brief absolutely correct. Your friend isn't going to pay for your insurance to cover you getting out the impound. Not only that but I'm sure he wouldn't pay the colossal amount of money for your car to be taken to and reside there

·
8 gears or more please
5,458 Posts
Why would all these things happen - your friend say's he is insured, ha ha - so prove it - if he can't, he don't drive your car (on third party only), end of story - thread closed

·
Dog's Taxi
422 Posts
I lent my best mate ian my van once (10+ years ago), i rang up my insurance and it cost my mate £10 to add him to it for the weekend back then. Even with me driving another car it cost me £7 in January this year to add the Mondeo to my insurance for 24 hours so i could drive it home and sort the car change over once i knew i had the car.

·
Big Megger
3,044 Posts
Yes I'm always legal, I'd rather have a clear conscience that I'm fully covered. My mate is a bit of a 'del boy' and very money orientated but like you say I'm sure it'll catch him out 1 day. I really need to choose my friends more wisely I think haha he doesn't have a business but think he sponges from a friend who is a registered trader. I have pre warned him that if he ever bumps into my car that he needn't worry about insurance because he'll struggle to give details when he's drinking his Sunday dinner through a straw. I don't think he's ever been all above board haha each to their own
One other thing to remember is, it's also your responsibility to ensure he has a driving licence. Again don't take his word for it.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mondy zetecs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to be clear - my question was "Is it possible to get insurance to drive any car when you don't actually own a car yourself?", it wasn't a "what should I do in this situation?" type of question as some on here seem to think. Appreciate you taking the time to reply all the same though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts