Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Intermittent erratic, pulsing tickover & engine cutting out.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Kevev 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2014 2.0 180 Mondeo Titanium X Estate with manual 6 speed gearbox, which has developed an intermittent fault over the last two weeks. The first time I noticed it was after I had coasted up to a queue of traffic at the roundabout after the Humber bridge toll. As I changed down and went to re-engage my clutch to carry on at a lower speed it was clear by the abrupt forward lurch that the engine had actually stalled. I carried on round the roundabout and after about a quarter of a mile reached a set of traffic lights at red. I stopped at the lights and kept my clutch pedal down, I observed the rev counter and heard the engine revving between 500 and 1000rpm before it once again stalled. I pressed the power button and it did the same thing again. I pressed the power button once more kept the engine revving at around 1100rpm and drove off when the lights went green. I carried on home with no more issues and went to work the next day with no re-occurrence of the problem. About a week later the same thing happened again, this time just as I go home and was reversing the car on to the drive. I took a short video of the rev counter, where you can see and hear what is happening and have attached it to this post. Thinking it might be related to the auto stop/start I kept it turned off for the next few days but this pulsing idle and cutting out has still occurred a couple more times. I gave the car a good blast last week and took it up to some very illegal speeds on the short stretch of motorway in the early hours. I thought this might help 'blow out the cobwebs' so to speak. It seemed to be ok for a few days but once again tonight it did the same thing on my way home. I commute to work Monday to Friday and travel appx. 80 miles a day. My 40 mile trip to work (and the same back home again) is very easy. I very rarely hit any traffic hold ups and apart from 6 miles on the M180 motorway it is mostly A roads with a maximum speed of 60mph. Consequently my journey consists of prolonged periods on cruise control at 55mph on the A roads and 65mph on the motorway. I drive the car very sedately (for economy) and average around 58mpg. I bought the car with just over 8000 miles on the clock and it is currently at 78000-ish. I mention all this as I am wondering if my driving style has clogged anything up, which may be the cause of my problem? Has anyone experienced anything like this, or know what the cause of the problem is? Thanks for taking the time to read and hope someone can shed some light for me. ** Can't get the video attached, keeps giving me a 'no file was selected for upload' error?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and hopefully some folk here can help... Are you getting any warning lights on the dash?

#3 ·
Hi there, no warning lights. The car drives well and displays no other problems apart from this intermittent pulsing tickover and stalling. Today it has not caused me any problems. That's how it is, it will be fine for a few days and then all of a sudden it will start to happen. Just keeps cutting out on tickover and there is no problem starting up again and driving. Just the tickover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.