Ford Automobiles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Zetec 2L tdci Bus.Ed. (38K mls) which a couple of months ago developed a puzzling starting fault when cold.The sequence was- Insert key ,then turned to pos. 3 absolutely nothing happened. -.Engine Malfunction message,pressed ok took you to Immobiliser active message. Noticed that ABS/ESP warning light was on.

Took key out and repeated, and on second attempt . car starts as normal and there after car performs as normal too. Fortunately and curiously this has been the pattern for a few weeks. As I don't have the equipment I took it to my local garage to be checked for faults codes. As luck would have it, all starts were as normal and no fault codes were logged. After reading various posts related to this topic., I carried out the following:-

1. Replaced the battery. ( my previous Mondeo's lasted about 5yrs)

2. Checked & cleaned Battery Neg. lead.

3. Replaced batteries in both key fobs.

4. Inspected wiring looms from top and bottom of engine. and checked condition of earthing connection points around left side of engine.

5. Bought a new relay for main fuse box, and in turn replaced each one (which had the same part no.)

None of the above made any difference.

I then decided to take it to the main ford dealer, where it was kept for 5 days... intermittent cold starting problem, but no fault codes shown. They said that they opened up some wiring looms to check for damage, through nearside wheel arch, but could not find fault. ..asked to monitor and take back if/ when it gets worse!

Recently ,on another website, I came across a closely related problem, with an answer from " an experienced ford mechanic" who suggested that Eng. Malfunction/ Immobiliser active messages combined with ABS/EPS warning lights staying on, and the mileage in the instrument cluster displaying dashes instead of numbers, pointed towards ABS control module or its circuits.

I feel that this is where I will need to look next. What really puzzles me is how it always starts second time when the above happens. I would be very grateful for any thoughts and suggestions or if anyone else has a similar experience.

I have attached my instrument display

Attachments

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For information, Almost 1yr. on car now back to full working order , thanks to the replacement of the BCM ,(Body Control Module) at local Ford Dealer. Car finally got to stage where it would not start at all, then relayed to garage .Had been in for 4 weeks while they concentrated on the big wiring looms under the main fuse box. All opened out and checked for faults.Substitute wiring also used. NO faults being logged.Main electrics tech. was corresponding with the Uk ford tech chaps, to try to get to the bottom of the problem. Big bill.. but at least its back on the road..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts