Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, - mondeo 05 tdci ghia

Please forgive naivety as not great with cars/garages etc but would really appreciate help.

The back story - I had the glow plug light coming on on occasion under heavy(ish) acceleration - overtaking, slip road sort of acceleration, it had been doing this for a while but reset when re-started and it wasnt happening every time. I use my car every day without fail, and it wasnt a major inconvenience, so I didn't take the time out to have it checked.

heading down motorway yesterday it came on and I came to some traffic, when we started moving again, and therefore accelerating, the engine cut out (it wasnt stalling as we started moving, i was up to about 30 by this point) it restarted straight away when turning ignition but cat/engine warning light was on so i thought i should get it checked.

bare in mind, I live in Yorkshire, but was travelling to Birmingham, nearest Evans Halshaw ford was Leicester - 20 miles.

It had to be Evans Halshaw as I only purchased the car 6 months ago and paid for the extended warranty - like I said I use my car every day and thought i was pourchasing piece of mind.

The car was fine on the motorway, but when i came off and had to do town driving it wasnt so good, cut out 3 times at roundabouts and didnt fill me with confidence.

Thats the back story -

I have been told that there are 10 potential faults, some can be ruled out by sight checks - crushed fuel lines, no fuel in tank etc but 1 is an injector fault code and one is partially or fully blocked fuel filter.

The garage have advised that they need to change the filter (which they say is not covered under my extended warranty) as there is a 'process' to go through to find the fault, they are going to charge me over £300 for this and they say it might not fix the problem. I have a few questions about this.

1. if i purchased the car only 6 months ago should the filter have not been checked and changed and could it get blocked in 6 months? (i dont run the tank dry)
2. Can the injector system not be checked prior to the filter, surely that is under warranty and if the car starts and runs and only has issues under acceleration an injector is a more likely problem
3. Is it standard that the fuel filter is not covered under warranty?
4. do I have any choice other than to pay.

Please bear in mind my car is 90 miles from home, taking it for a second opinion in a town I don't know is not ideal and i'm not sure it'd make it all the way back up here.

Any advice would be gratefully received as i feel somewhat shoe horned into just paying.

Cheers

·
Little Megger
317 Posts
I for one would not pay 300.00 to fords for something that might not be fixed, you need to check your warranty for what's covered and what isn't .
If it turned out to be the fuel filter that has caused this you would be pretty f**ked off they charged you that for something that costs about 30.00 and a simple diy job.
Get it out and tell them not to proceed with anything, if it goes again, call your breakdown cover which I assume you have and get them to bring you home.
you should also be covered by something called the sale of goods act in relation to the time you have had the car. but your first priority is to get your car home and take it from there, it stinks that they are trying to cop out with the warranty and charge you 300.00.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
if they are charging £300 for a fuel filter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIESEL-FUEL-FILTER-FORD-MONDEO-MK3-2-0-2-2-DI-TDCI-TDDI-/330724749866?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d00bb322a#ht_1392wt_1270 it'd better be gold plated... (delphi are at least as good as oem parts) so the other £287.01 is going to be spent on bleeding the diesel through the filter, (prob 10 mins) and then what?

i was quoted £65 for an hour on the diagnostic machine, i'd do the filter myself if it was gonna cost £300...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi, thanks for the advice, 1 question, if it has got a partially blocked fuel filter, (guessing a fully blocked one would mean it wouldnt start) can driving it damage the car more?

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
if its just the filter thats blocked it'll be underpowered but driving it steadily it should get you home, or wherever you want to take it. Other alternatives are to get the car back on a trailer, (know any mates with one?) or to tow it, (but is a bit of a mission towing 90 miles and you shouldn't tow on motorways) If you're anywhere near leeds the lads at abc have had some great reviews off members here, http://www.abc-carservice.co.uk/ see the trusted garages forum for members reviews, http://www.talkford.com/page/TalkFord%20Trusted%20Garages/_/abc-car-services-ltd-r12

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot, i've checked out the trusted garages, there is one in Leicester listed as well but recommended by just one member, the abc guys certainly do get some excellent reviews.

I'll probably see how it drives when I pick it up (there are about 3 roundabouts between the garage and the M1 and it cut out in the middle of every one on the way in!) if I can get to the motorway I should be fine.

Your advice has helped me a lot, i have to admit I had practically resigned myself to paying the money and calling it 'one of those things' but i'm gonna go get it out tomorrow and should save a few quid.

just cos it's nice to have closure, i'll let you know how i get on!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, what can I say. Car drove back up no problem, a bit unpredictable through town as far as power goes but no cut outs. Abc fit me in and all sorted (inc new lock for bonnet catch) for £88. There was a £45 charge from ford for diagnostics but considering I'd had a focus of theirs since Thursday I felt that was ok. All in all £143 and done. Saved £184 thanks to your great advice and help. Thanks so much, will add a review on the trusted garages section for abc as well. I owe you a drink!!

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
glad you got sorted, just out of curiosity, the warranty doesn't cover the items abc sorted? i'd be tempted if it did to take the bill to E-H and see if you can get the money back off them, (??? worth a try if are warranty items)

its a shame i don't live a bit closer to them, coz i'd nip mine in there for a once over, as they do sound like they are the mutts, (was a good find, being as i'd never heard of them, google searched for a garage in that area, then had checked for some reviews)

hope the focus got a good italian tune up before you returned it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadly no on the warranty. Have seen a few reviews which say it covers naff all, waste of money but no use crying over spilt milk. I'm pleased with the saving so might look at what I can get back when this fuzzy feeling has gone and I'm a bit more bitter.

I think it's fair to say I 'maximised the performance' of the focus. Nice cars the new ones but to be fair it had absolutely nothing when you pressed go!

Abc will be getting my business for many years to come now. Great find!

Now. To put that money back in the bank or upgrade the stereo.........

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Sadly no on the warranty. Have seen a few reviews which say it covers naff all, waste of money but no use crying over spilt milk. I'm pleased with the saving so might look at what I can get back when this fuzzy feeling has gone and I'm a bit more bitter.

I think it's fair to say I 'maximised the performance' of the focus. Nice cars the new ones but to be fair it had absolutely nothing when you pressed go!

Abc will be getting my business for many years to come now. Great find!

Now. To put that money back in the bank or upgrade the stereo.........
Bank!!! BANK!!!

(then withdraw for the stereo)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts