Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, if you have fully comp insurance, and write off the car, the insurance pay out the value of the car and they take the salvage. Is that insurance policy then finished, or can you still transfer it to another car (i.e. the replacement vehicle), or do you take out a new policy?

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
depends on the company i think.

heard a few comments about tesco insurance ending your policy with no refund after a total loss claim but my mum has had a total loss claim with a different insurance company ( an age ago mind you ) and carried on the policy with the replacement car.

so its all to do with what rip off merchant the policy is with at the end of the day.

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
I am with e-sure and after i drowned my TD Ghia estate just over 12 months ago ( total loss ) they carried on the policy with a small adjustment to cover the higher group car i bought :)

·
Spanner Monkey!
2,652 Posts
depends on insurers. RBS group companies allow you to continue your policy untill the renewal, you still need to pay the policy and any increase if higher grouped car (i used to deal with total losses day in/day out)

read the small print though,

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
im with CIS and they dont bat an eyelid, just carried on as if nowt had happened. Liverpool Victoria on the otherhand dont, they end it and refund you the difference apparently, so depends on the company.

·
Working on the Choo-Choo trains
1,950 Posts
Edit: ** bugger! I managed to answer another thread in this one! Deleted because it wouldn't have made any sense at all :blush: **

·
Registered
219 Posts
mostly it depends on how you pay your insurance, it doesnt matter what your policy is fc tpft or tp only, if you paid it all up front then some companies refund the difference immediately, some just let it roll on even if you dont get a new car, if you pay it monthly then some companies end it and others wait for your response, and if its quarterly, thats when it gets a little wierd, some let it roll on til you respond, others end it with no refund, and others end it with a refund. hope that helps, i used to work in accident management so i know my stuff about insurance.

·
AWOL
19,522 Posts
My g/f's insurance wasn't invalidated/cancelled when her car was written off in a corner to corner. Good job too cos she's since been shunted from behind twice in 3 months, resulting in yet another written off car. The first of the rear-enders happened only a month after getting the new car from the first corner to corner accident! She now wants to go on my insurance! :whistling:

·
Registered
219 Posts
i can now say i have personally experienced this, my insurer is Quinn Direct, my car is a total loss (see thread in general car talk) there will be no claim but until i find a suitable replacement vehicle they have temporarily suspended my policy, meaning i still have to pay but i should get the money back at the renewal, by suspending the policy you are not allowed to drive any other vehicle even with owners permission so it wont suit those who have access to another vehicle, you can decide on cancelling the policy with 30 days notice and a suspension lasts no longer than 28 days, once a claim has been completed its entirely upto the insurer as to whether they cancel or resume the policy as at the end of the day you may still have access to another car, so basically, in most cases, if you say nothing to the insurer then policy will more than likely continue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.