Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
WilliamLX said:
yes it is much much better :stir:
Thats coming from someone who has never owned a mk2 :whistling: lol

·
MEG Corporal
1,133 Posts
Mixed in with numorous other cars I've owned a Mk1 1.8TD GLX, a Mk2 2.5V6 GhiaX and currently a Mk3 TDCi130 Ghia. All around a year old when I bought them.

The Mk3 feels a much bigger car to drive which I suppose it is really. The suspension is a major step forward there is less roll and better handling but it also feels more supple over potholes and ridges.
The Mk3's interior is nicer to touch and feel but I don't think there has been a major step forward in build quality as my old V6's interior always felt solid and I've had a couple of trim issues with the TDCi.
Refinement has also been increased although I liked the V6 roar in the Mk2.

One step back is the Audio, the Mk3 high spec models may have the in-dash 6CD Sony but they still fit a single dual cone speaker in each door. The Mk2 setup with seperate tweeters was a better sounding system IMO.

Cheers
Lee

·
Daft
3,079 Posts
Two words...

Hell Yeah !!!!!

·
Formerly known as cilla black
15,701 Posts
ive had, mk1, mk2 and now onto a mk3, which is best?

MK3 by far.....

·
Formerly known as cilla black
15,701 Posts
err none of them, 2.2 tdci

·
MEG Captain
3,040 Posts
would really depend on what sort of mileage you cover and type of driving
deep pockets & loads of miles = v6
shallow pockets & loads of miles tdci
just as a runabout 1.8 or 2.0 petrol

·
MEG Corporal
1,133 Posts
ejaymclane said:
Which engine would you suggest out of these:

2.0 TDCI
2.0 petrol
2.5 petrol

:innocent:
If you dont do many miles then the V6, more miles or if you tow then go for the TDCi.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
227 Posts
For me, the Mk3. I've had a 2.5 Ghia X Mk2 and the one below so can't really compare the engines, but the interior is so much better and upto date on the Mk3. I also prefer the look of the MK3 to the MK2, saying that the MK2 does look better with the RSAP kit on it. The handling is pretty good too, can take the bumps but doesn't roll too much on corners.

The 2.0 isn't a bad engine, I was pretty suprised by the low level torque to be honest, its not as much as the V6 (obviously I suppose) but for a 16v unit its pretty good. AFAIK the 2.5 is basically the same unit as in the MK2 and 3.0 litre is similar to the unit in the X Type jag. The 2.0 came from Mazda and was used in the 626.

The prices of the Mk3 are falling now so, I suppose it depends on your mileage as said above. You could compromise and run a 2.5 V6 Mk2 as the depreciation will be bottoming out which will help offset the fuel cost difference. Loads of miles - diesel, but I get upto 40 mpg at sensible motorway speeds out of mine. Not as good as a diesel, but cheaper to buy in the first place.

They have a few common faults, but don't they all??

·
Registered
391 Posts
Is it better than a Mk2?, Hell yes

Which engine?, personally I would get the TDCi, get power, cheap to run, best of both worlds.

Dan,

·
Registered
90 Posts
father in law has had a mk2 1.8lx for years which i've driven lots or times and still feels good. my mk3 1.8 feels more modern [no sh1t sherlock!], better? well i suppose so, but his doesn't feel like a dog either. his has done 90000 miles, mine 40000. mine feels 'better' because it feels sharper and fresher. it would be interesting to compare a 40000 mile mk2 to mine i think. i would say that the mk3 is a good upgrade from a mk2.

·
MEG Sergeant
1,156 Posts
Of course, logically, the Mk3 is a better car than the MK2. Ford would have had to have screwed up quite badly to make the Mk3 a backward step.

So, in every possible way bar asthetics becuase these are subjective, the Mk3 is a better car.

But is it a considerably better car? I'm not so sure - I've yet to find anything nice enough to make me think the cash to upgrade to the Mk3 would be money well spent.

If I was chosing again, obviously, it'd be a Mk3. But to say its leaps and bounds ahead of the Mk2 is untrue.

·
The Saabnessness is mine!
2,893 Posts
I suppose it can also count on which model you are referring to. By all accounts the ST220 is a world apart from ST200.

Not that I don't love my 200, but have already decided to put missus on ebay to pay for a 220. :)

Haven't told her yet though. It's the only hitch in my master plan.

·
Daft
3,079 Posts
Obviously the Petrol STs are gonna be the best in the engine dept. But I gotta say I am sooooo impressed with the TDCi 130. I love it. Really economical but loads of torque. Pulls like a train in all gears even with climate turned on. Third gear is just awesome when you put your foot down. :L :L :L

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Fox2 said:
Of course, logically, the Mk3 is a better car than the MK2. Ford would have had to have screwed up quite badly to make the Mk3 a backward step.

So, in every possible way bar asthetics becuase these are subjective, the Mk3 is a better car.

But is it a considerably better car? I'm not so sure - I've yet to find anything nice enough to make me think the cash to upgrade to the Mk3 would be money well spent.

If I was chosing again, obviously, it'd be a Mk3. But to say its leaps and bounds ahead of the Mk2 is untrue.
I'd say is was very true,I've only driven the ST220 but it made any Mk1 Mk2 i've been in/driven seem crap in comparison. So much so i nearly cried driving my MK1 again.

·
6,836 Posts
All depends on what you want from a car, and more importantly price you wanna pay, have owned mondeo for years just brought my 3rd in a row. one MK1 (1.8lx)and two MK2's (1 X 1.8lx then 1 X ST24), each car has been an improvement. The money I got my ST for would have been able to get a MK3 and if I could would have been a low spec with starship miles.

My preferance is the Mk2 like the styling more anyway. Heard of number of problems with the Mk3 but hey all cars have problems.

Just have the one you like best and can afford, no car is better or worse than any other. Its just a case of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

·
Old school Meg member
6,847 Posts
none of them there all slow :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :} :eek13:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts