Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Megger
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ho one and all,

I receive daily updates from Quora.com and this was a recent question:

I bought a Tesla. It does not have a spare tire or run flat tires. What do you recommend I carry for DIY flat fixes in remote areas?

The answer; blah,blah, blah:- and used my Kia roadside assistance kit that has an air pump that uses your lighter socket and tire sealer in the trunk instead of a spare. I pumped her tire up to 40 PSI and she was on her way. Why a car that is 5 times the price of a Kia doesn't have this $90 kit in it is beyond me. To answer your question, just get a Kia Tire Mobility kit on Amazon and you'll be good.

Is this true that Tesla does not have an on-board flat tyre get home options?

Toodle pip

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,458 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me, friend bought a Mk2 Focus ST and I was surprised there was no spare in it. Had to buy foam blocks to raise the boot floor and get a mount welded in for the securing bolt.

All in the name of weight saving I'm sure for economy and stuff.

·
Megger
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
As the Quora answer asks, why would a X thousand dollar car not have some sort of on-the-road flat tyre solution included?

Guess I will not get rid of my Mk3 just yet!

·
8 gears or more please
5,458 Posts
Are you absolutely certain a brand new car does not come with a "repair" kit.
If it doesn't it is only peanuts to buy a repair kit to put in the boot instead of keeping your old banger, ha ha

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
Tesla followed Apple with the less for more $. Seems US buyers are happy to spend

$200 - $300 for someone to come and fit a new tyre.

I read something where they claimed Manufacturers followed Tesla and the Model S/X

in not fitting spare wheels. Is everyone but me hypnotised by Musk and believe Musk

or Tesla invented everything?

2006 S-Max didn't have a spare and nowhere to put one. Probably several other cars

also in the view of saving weight and fuel long before Tesla made the S and X.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,104 Posts
My last focus, and current Ioniq don't have spares.

The design of the ioniq is all about weight saving, so following that logic it makes sense not to have a spare.

It does have the inflator and foam kit though.

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
Quite often its just a can of gunk. When new they probably offer free breakdown cover

or an upsell after commenting that the gunk wont fix all punctures.

I would probably have bought an S-Max but no spare and not having a proper

place to store one put me off completely.

·
Registered
924 Posts
As smart motorway implementation increases it is going to be more important to have a spare wheel.

AA president Edmund King is now advising people with a puncture to keep driving to an ERA or even off the motorway (shredding the Tyre) rather than risk stopping in a live lane.

I don't plan to ever have a Car without a spare wheel

A new Tyre and possibly rim at the roadside will be very expensive

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Hi

I was on a walk around the block a couple of months against, came around the corner to see this flash Tesla driver realise he had taken a wrong turn into a private road. Large screen reversing camera could not have been up to much because as he reversed into cul de sac to turn, he drove straight into curb. This peeled the very low profile tyre off what looked to be a smart 20" rim.

Rather than get out to look he just dragged deflated tyre across to other side of road and parked. Wife and I just walked on by to avoid occupants of car any embarrassment, presume he was straight on the phone to road side recovery. Perhaps the Tesla's have a big red T shaped button in the centre of the dashboard just for these occasions.

Peter

·
8 gears or more please
5,458 Posts
Well there is a nice round black button in the headlining by the interior mirror on my BMW so I can direct call a BMW concierge for any emergency assistance, they refuse to send alcoholic drinks though, ha ha

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,104 Posts
Well there is a nice round black button in the headlining by the interior mirror on my BMW so I can direct call a BMW concierge for any emergency assistance, they refuse to send alcoholic drinks though, ha ha
I showed the same button in my Ionic to my other half around two weeks ago. Not only was she unaware of what it was for, she hadn't even seen it, and she drives the car nearly every day.

We had stopped to help a woman who had crashed her Fiesta. The woman was trying to explain to police where she was, and was also unaware her Fiesta had a similar button.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts