Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I did warn on my profile I'd be asking stupid questions. Am wondering if is usual wear and tear? I can't see any holes or rust worse than this, so was just wondering really. Want to be ahead of any problems that may come soon on my new purchase, a MK4 Mondeo.

Thanks

Anthony

Gas Metal Soil Event Auto part

·
MEG Corporal
2,859 Posts
Looks normal to me. You want to check the exhaust hangers too and they tend to rust and fail, as well as the those joins to the boxes as per your photo.

I have a 2.2 diesel and the exhaust is only available from Ford (I think for all twin exit exhaust models) for about £1000....I've been treating the rust and painting for a good few years now on my 2011 car.

·
MEG Corporal
2,859 Posts
I just wire brushed the area and treated with Hammerite Kurust and then painted with Hammerite Metal Paint. only the hangers and join on the boxes.

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
Youngsters eh... :D

Us olduns will remember cars coming off the production line with exhausts rustier than that. If you got 3 years
out of it then you were doing well. By 5 years old the exhaust probably had little to hang onto anyway as the
whole car had mostly rusted away. :)

Happy days... Things were better back then.... (Well cars rusted better) :D

The weak point these days seems to be where the pipe enters the back box on the front side and the hangers
which can rust in the weld and break away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol thanks guys. And we'll, glad to be called young again haha Just not owned a car for like 7 years so just checking it ain't gonna suddenly fall off lol will check the hangars, but pretty sure my clothes stay up in the wardrobe. 😛😂 Appreciate the tips 😁

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
If its a diesel then who needs a backbox anyway? :)

Drove my MK3 around for quite a while with no backbox, it only had one exhaust box to start with and made virtually
no extra noise. Just an amusing whistle from the turbo when lifting off after a bootful. Well I say amusing it was at
first but soon got annoying. Although I am lazy and just suffered annoying for a while. (2 or 3 months) :D

Is your wardrobe as rusty as the exhaust? At least you have all those 70's clothes that almost button up if you
do need to crawl under the car. Or is that me again? I forget its the age you know...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts