Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Big Megger
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 TDCi 130, with 28K.

I've noticed that I get better acceleration when not depressing the gas pedal full. If I floor it, then the engine seems to be limited slightly. It stays like this until next crank?

Is this possible?

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
Yes.

I have found, you don't need to floor it to get the power. I guess it over fuels and sort of floods very briefly

·
Big Megger
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering if it did the same as my old Fiat, if the management reached 100% throttle, if went in to some sort of safe mode. It should have been set to 98%

·
Diesel Head
1,929 Posts
all sounds a bit weird to me i suffer with none of the above symptoms

·
Formerly known as cilla black
15,701 Posts
with the TDDi i find it splutters a bit if you floor the gas pedal, best to take it easy.

·
Little Megger
17 Posts
Maxwell....Ive never had to floor the pedal on my 52plate tdci130 yet as acceleration with about 3/4 pedal is stunning.
Its a heap of shit as far as reliabilty goes but I certainly cant complain about the power delivery when its working.
I'm looking to change to an 05 plate in the hope that the gremlins have gone but time will tell.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
when you drive a diesel any diesel id say you shouldnt use full throttle at all when i drive i use between 1/4 and half throttle this is how your supposed do drive a diesel.

·
Diesel Head
1,929 Posts
ive never heard such [email protected] cant floor a diesel why ever not ive done well over 150 thosand miles in different ones and there is no logic at all in what your saying

·
Registered
103 Posts
Noticed the same thing myself - ease off the pedal just a tad and the car picks up a lot better (even though it's now blown up - see my other thread!)

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
philwalker said:
ive never heard such [email protected] cant floor a diesel why ever not ive done well over 150 thosand miles in different ones and there is no logic at all in what your saying

[color:red]Calm down dear, its just an opinion[/color]

I get what TotalGuy is saying. I found that when driving my old TD if I floored it, it would basically not go anywhere. If I gradually applied the throttle it would accellerate much better than flooring it. The MK2 TD is a mechanical pump which could be the explaination for this.

This isn't so much in my TDDI but I do gradually apply the throttle as it 'seems' to give smoother accelleration.

·
Registered
47 Posts
At a certain RPM there is only so much air that can be inhaled by the engine and combusted with the injected diesel
If the throttle is advanced too far you may get more diesel injected than the engine can burn, so you will get no more power, but you will get unburnt diesel, i.e. black smoke and money blowing out the exhaust. The engine will be in an overload condition. In a modern flybywire common rail engine the management system may be clever enough to stop this overfuelling.
If you are in a situation where further throttle application can not result in an increase in RPM, this is called lugging, and is damaging, so change down or ease off the throttle.In a petrol car you would get pinking, but a diesel will sometimes deceptively seem a little smoother or quieter, but may black smoke.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have gone for a 5 speed auto 2.3 petrol Mazda 6( ST24 near Kaput) ,no diesel over here.Better than the Mondeo in a strictly rational sort of way, but lacks the character of the V6 ST24,and maybe does not steer quite as well as a four cylinder Mondy, although it will certainly corner as well or faster.
Would wait for the new Volvo/Mondeo in 07,which may use the Volvo engines.I have driven the S40 and the 5 cylinder 2.4 is a good smooth motor, rest of the car too cramped too expensive and too Volvoish.No idea what diesels may be used in this machine??, hopefully we will be able to get diesels in NZ. Currently if you want diesel it is Citroen, Renault or VW here in this range.
Mazda certainly a viable fill-in car till then I would think.
Sounds like the start of a whole new thread?? Mazda6 vs Mondeo!

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Am I right in thinking that you dont get the MK3 Mondeo down in NZ (as you cant get it in Australia it makes sense).

It wouldn't be that fair to compare a MK1/2 with a Mazda 6 as the Mazda is a much newer and fresher design, although the MK1/2's are bloody good cars. If you were to compare a Mazda to a MK1/2 it would have to be the 626 (the predecessor to the Mazda 6) and the Mondeo wins hands down in my opinion.

The MK3 is probably better used for the comparison to the 6, but to be honest I personally prefer the look and styling of the MK3 over the Mazda, but thats down to personal preference (I really dont like the interior to the Mazda - the ones I have seen anyway).

The Madza though is a very nice car - they are Ford owned so they share a component here and there too.

[color:red]Now its really gone[/color] :eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can get auto V6 ghia and petrol 4 cylinders 2 litre
A very few (like 10-20) ST220s were imported for a short while, but Ford would rather you bought a thirsty Falcon instead (Aussie tank).You can get the 190kw XR6 on special for $40000, this has sports suspension and 6 speed auto, but its too big for me.
Parts for Mondeo are poorly available here.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Its a shame really cause the MK3 over here in blighty is a really fantastic car - a genuine progression from the excellent MK2. Think its got more to do with the fact that over in your neck of the woods:-

1. Fuel doesnt cost the earth
2. Because of 1, there is more call for genuine big engined, gas guzzlers (wish it was like that here :()

·
Diesel Head
1,929 Posts
DavePage said:
philwalker said:

[color:red]Calm down dear, its just an opinion[/color]

I get what TotalGuy is saying. I found that when driving my old TD if I floored it, it would basically not go anywhere. If I gradually applied the throttle it would accellerate much better than flooring it. The MK2 TD is a mechanical pump which could be the explaination for this.

This isn't so much in my TDDI but I do gradually apply the throttle as it 'seems' to give smoother accelleration.
[color:red]im lovin' it LOL[/color]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts