Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked before but I am not clear.

I have Mk4 Mondeo 2009

Would lit be advisable to rest the front of the car on a jackstand on the bolt in the picture below?

MondeoUnderneathFront.jpg

If not I may be putting the jack stand on the jacking point and lowering the car onto the stand with a lift such as a hydraulic car ramp or 'Rennstand', these are more expensive.

·
Dog's Taxi
455 Posts
Bolt 1 or the flat bit just in front of the bolt is where i use my stands and all was fine.

Reactions: guitar

·
vieplis
803 Posts
Bolt 1 only. Not the plate. Bolt 1 is one of the 4 subframe bolts.

mRuRLbi.jpg

zhj549S.jpg

Imagining the layers from underneath - bolt, plate, subframe, body. Body, subframe and tightened bolt should be sturdy and safe enough for more or less vertical transfer of the weight. Not the plate, unfortunately. Edges/sides of those plates are not designed to serve as support surfaces, as attested by bigi here (3rd link). Bigi's plates obviously had been bent by the repair Professionals at some point earlier (1st link and/or 2nd link), causing endless problems thereafter.

Therefore it might be safe to exclude 2, 3 and 5 in your image.

As regards bolts 4 and 6, I'm not sure if the corresponding sections of the body are as strong as the section of the body for bolt 1.

Jack stands with flat and relatively small round-shaped contact surface would be the best, as you can see in the attached images of ones with flat rectangular-shaped contact surface. I hope your jack stands would allow allow them to be positioned so that:

- the contact surface is not touching the side edges 3 and 5 in your images; and

- bolt 1 meets the centre of the contact surface and transfers the weight to the whole jack stand (via the vertical bar of the jack stand), and not to one side of the contact surface.

TXTAE0S.jpg

UQpxcze.jpg

Not so well-centered on the other side (because of unsuitable ground surface) in the following image, yet the positioning worked out well in the end:

8hkgrXS.jpg

If the contact surface of the jack stands (or any other improvised solid substitutes) is too wide and large, it could still be possible to avoid a weight-bearing contact between the 2, 3 and 5 of the plate and the contact surface of the jack stand (or substitute). Place something inbetween the latter and the bolt 1. A hockey puck?

·
MEG Corporal
2,820 Posts
This is where I place them...not had any problems doing it like this.

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Tread

Attachments

·
Conversmod & Powermod UK Install & Support
2016 Mondeo mk5 Titanium 2.0 TDCI 180ps
1,316 Posts
Just to wade in here - the damage had been caused by supports being placed under point 3 on the diagram you numbered above, this had resulted in the weight of the car being supported on a thin piece of metal, which had folded the hole of the front area of the plate so it was in full contact with the subframe itself, which obviously moved under load.

When i support the car I always use the trolley jack on the subframe mounting bolts (1) with a suitably small cupped jack that doesn't interfere with the plate itself.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, I totally respect you guys.

I haven't jacked the car yet myself, I will just use the bolt (1) and the pinch weld point where it is marked with the semicircle.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,679 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts