Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Big Megger
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a few basic qualifications in IT support but need a trainee job to improve my general knowledge and help me progress. After months and months of trying for junior/trainee jobs I have still to even get a interview. The CV has been checked by endless people and Im sure I have tried all the usual agents/papers/websites. Has anyone else been in this situation?
Cheers

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
May not be what you want to hear but have you looked at a Helpdesk type role? Judging by some of the people doing this at our place qualifications and knowledge aren't that essential but if you are good there are generally opportunities to progress your career through to 2nd line, 3rd line etc.

Might be worth a punt if you are willing to start at the bottom of the ladder. The experience you will gain doing this will stand you in good stead in the future if you want to go for other IT jobs.

·
AWOL
19,522 Posts
DavePage said:
May not be what you want to hear but have you looked at a Helpdesk type role? Judging by some of the people doing this at our place qualifications and knowledge aren't that essential but if you are good there are generally opportunities to progress your career through to 2nd line, 3rd line etc.

Might be worth a punt if you are willing to start at the bottom of the ladder. The experience you will gain doing this will stand you in good stead in the future if you want to go for other IT jobs.
THat's how a number of guys have got in the door at our place. It's easier for a firm to recruit internally for 2nd and 3rd level jobs, and the Helpdesk staff aren't usually expected to be hugely IT literate so your training would stand you in good stead

·
Retired
2,480 Posts
There is some IT company advertising on the TV. Offering to train up poeple in IT and them help them get into a job. Can't think of them name at present. But I will endeavour to find out.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Oz said:
DavePage said:

THat's how a number of guys have got in the door at our place. It's easier for a firm to recruit internally for 2nd and 3rd level jobs, and the Helpdesk staff aren't usually expected to be hugely IT literate so your training would stand you in good stead
Exactly that at our place. No external recruitment (not officially anyway) for 2nd line onwards, its all done internally so you have to start at the bottom. Only higher up the chain is there possibility of recruitment externally but that would be done by headhunting and you would be doing similar anyway.

·
Big Megger
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I didnt want to hear the words help desk ;) but I totally see where you guys are coming from on that. I started at the bottom rung of my last job 6 years ago and its just hard to do it all again.

Ive had alot of companies ring regarding training where I pay them then they will get me a job at the end. I swear alot of the jobs online are false and just these types of company fishing for contacts. Think the company that advertised on tv was called Advent chris.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
A lot of the agencies do advertise false jobs. Try asking them who the company is they are advertising for and most of them will say they cant give out that information - which is total crap, people want to know who they are applying to work for. Its all a ploy to get you on their books so they can offer you jobs at half the salary.

·
Big Megger
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah im trying to steer clear of the agency jobs. I would be ok if I was looking for an IT recruitment consultant position, there seems to be plenty of adverts for them!

·
Megger
88 Posts
I concur with previous comments - you have to start at the bottom and brown your way up. I started on the HD and now I'm doing networking and securing. I would however advise anyone who wants a career change to NOT go into IT - Get a trade or set of trades and you'll be raking it in. And, you can go off and work for yourself when you like.

Unless of course you like abuse from colleages/customers and staring at PC's rebooting - thats probably how Ive spent two years of my life - servers take 4eva to boot these days!

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
bathrug said:
your not wrong .... 2003 takes 20 minutes
2003 (or any version of Server) running Exchange Server. :yawn:. Gotta be very high specced server otherwise you might as well have a kip :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts