Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just spent a small fortune on a DMF, Clutch and CSC kit,

Main reason I'm writing this is to see how others have done this job at home with limited tools & equipment also get a few ideas of how to tackle it without doing it word for word as the manual states as I don't have a drive to leave it on whilst doing this job so shortcuts would help a great deal.

other question is do I have to take the driveshaft's off the hubs or can I just wiggle them free of the transmission?

All help welcome, Thanks

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
You can drop the bottom balljoins and pop the driveshafts out of the gearbox and leave the rest intact.

But removing the shafts wont take much longer and will give you more room to work.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,193 Posts
Luckily you have a 2 litre diesel so you will have more room to play with than other models :)

What did a clutch, slave and DMF cost you?

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,193 Posts
How long are you planning to spend doing this job. I'm asking as you mentioned not having a drive to do the job on.
A garage with ramps etc and full time mechanics would be looking to spend four hours on your car.

The only tips I can think of are:
change your gearbox oil at the same time you do your clutch.
Have enough jacks and axle stands to be able to independently lift the car and engine as needed.
Keep an eye on any ancillary pipes that may be disturbed or damaged.

When my clutch was done recently the main vac tube to the diaphragm was left in place and then split when the engine was rocked forwards.

·
Little Megger
4,562 Posts
Don't forget to drain the gearbox oil before removing the driveshafts otherwise you'll lose 2litres of oil all over your work area.

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
Not Techniclutch.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Iirc I've seen it said possible to drop one side of the subframe, pull the box back about 4 inches and fit new parts. Found it - http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/228738-lack-of-power/page-3

I would be worrying about stressing things and making mistakes because I couldn't see well but I've never done a mondy clutch.

Always wonder how design would evolve if manufacturers were compelled to quote total running costs over 100k /150k

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't forget to drain the gearbox oil before removing the driveshafts otherwise you'll lose 2litres of oil all over your work area.
I was working on my motor before - new suspension springs I think- and accidentally pulled the drive shaft out of the cup it sits in. I.E the bit of the drive shaft with the 3 bearing things. When doing the clutch do I need to pull the cup that that sits in out too then?

Sorry if not clear but can put up some pics if needed.

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
You can split the shaft anywhere you want.

Most will pop the complete cup out of the gearbox, but you can take the joint

out of the cup, you need to fit a new clip to prevent the oil escaping.

If its the outer one you pulled out get a proper metal clip and dont use

a cable tie because it will catch and get ripped off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts