Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, been considering getting rid of Telewest Digital as its just in the bedroom and only gets watched a bit. The pain in the backside part of this is we would have to reconnect BT and change BB providers too.

Anyway, Telewest have a new service available - TV Drive which is essentially similar to Sky+160 as it's got a 160Gb HDD built in. The advantages of it over Sky+ is its already High Definition, and its got 3 tuners built in so you can record 2 channels whilst watching a 3rd. The other thing is you dont have to pay for the box - the cost is all in the subscription.

Well, heres the best bit (for me anyway). Working out based on my current package it would have cost me an extra £21/month to keep the existing box, have the new TV Drive Box and upgrade from the Essential Package to the Supreme one (which normally costs £7 more, but reduces the TV drive subscription from £15 to £10 so only £2 more for extra channels). Not happy at the prospect of having to fork out another £21/month (which I wouldn't) I phoned back and spoke to the disconnections people. Dramatically I got the new box, keep the existing box and the channel upgrade for £5 more than I am paying now. Not a bad result. All I have to do now is wait until the 31st to have it installed which is the earliest they can do it. All good things and all that.

Another advantage I have found out is that the current Telewest and NTL digital boxes Remotes are IrDA, and as a result my 2.4Ghz AV sender will not transmit the remote signal back. The new boxes run on standard Infrared so will work with them (same as the Sky boxes).

Now all I have to do is wait and see if they start transmitting the High Def signals for the BBC in time for the World Cup - might have to scrimp and save to get me a High Def LCD TV for that :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Im ordered mine the day it came out being installed on the 25th the bloke on the phone got it wrong he said there was a £50 fee if I swapped the boxes, but I could keep my old box for £ 5 a month, when I asked how long I had to keep the old one he said 30 days (ment to be 12 months) haha, so i swapped the boxes for a fiver.

Dave have you ordered the Hi-Def cables, there free, the conection between telewest Tv-Drive to Hi-Def is not the same as normal conections, I dont have Hi-Def yet but still got the cables for the future

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was gonna ask the installer to leave the cables for me - I would imagine they have them in the van with them cause I wasnt asked if I have high def on the phone, so they cannot presume I dont.

Im hoping I get a nice friendly installer to be honest anyway (kettle will be on :)). We used to have a box in the Main living room, and one in our bedroom. We got rid of the one in the living room a while back cause it wasnt getting used, and we were paying £15/month for it. We are having the TV drive installed not in the main living room, but what should be the dining room which we use as our games room and spend most time in to be honest. The cables are still there in the Living room, but its not linked to the box on the wall. I am hoping the installer will connect this back up for me so I can move the bedroom box down to the living room, have the TV drive installed in the 'games room' and send the signal for this using my wireless sender to the bedroom so we can use the TV drive functions there. I havent had a look at the cable thats still in the living room to be honest, it might just plug back in anyway.

Did you manage to wangle a deal from them? As I said they initially wanted me to pay an extra £21/month for the setup I am getting but I got it down to an extra £5/month. Dont think I am doing too bad either, cause I am getting the Supreme Package, Phone Line Rental, International Call Saver (£3/month), 2Mb Broadband, TV Drive and Extra Box for £47/month. About time I got something back - been with them for over 10 years (when they were called Cable North West).

Oh - and surfing the web yesterday I read a press release from Telewest from about 6 months or so ago which stated that the extra boxes can be kept for £5/month, or a one off fee. This means if you can get hold of a box and know how to link them up you can add extra boxes cause they are effectively saying you can buy them and link them up (there will be a maximum you can though - used to be 3). I have an old Analogue Box that they didnt take away, might see if this would link up too before they switch off the analogue signals.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
as long as you keep broadband from telewest you would be a fool to get rid of it m8 theyre the best isp in the uk and have been for a while much better than anything on adsl.

we have 4mb broadband at £25 a month and talk unlimited phone £25 a month and the cable tv costs a tenner a month i dont think we can get better than that. cable tv is ok tho dont use telewest got a dbox2 ;)

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats dbox2?

The Telewest Pace boxes are a pile of cack! They were out of date by the time they started to install them so they are well old now - they only have about 4Mb of on board memory for the software - which explains why they are so slow.

Im hoping that the TV Drive box is much improved in speed over the Pace Boxes. One thing is they are Scientific Atlanta and not Pace so they should be a lot quicker (I hope).

I did have the 4Mb broadband on trial until last night when I reverted back to the 2Mb rather than start paing £7/month more. The 2Mb is more than enough for what I want and its only £17.99. I used to do OK on the 256k broadband so 2Mb is way faster for me :}

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm going to wait acouple of days to order mine my bill is due then and seems a convenient time to call to say I'm leaving to get sky as they have HDTV and Sky+ and see what they say.....

They get enough from me already as I have 10mb broadband £35 the £25 phone package and the supreme package with extra's and i've been with them afew years worth a go.

My luck at the moment they'll probably say OK we'll disconnect your service in 30 days, lol

Will post how I get on though.

Damo

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
theyre pretty strict i found as they know theyre the best as far as phone service and isp goes dunno what you wil lget as far as cable tv goes worth a try though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts