Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..when you are going to get a new windscreen fitted, and have a really bad back. Obviously because of the weather they could not do it mobile, so I had to take it to them (RAC) as the screen was cracked all along the bottom of the windscreen. Before I did I had to clear as much snow off the car before I went :eyesup:

Now I have noticed that the sealant thingy they have used along the top edge of the screen has not been put on with the best of care! It goes funny a few times along the roofline but seems to go totally mental at the passenger side. Now my brother has just had a look at it and says he wouldn't worry about it - its just the sealant, but I am more worried about it looking crap. Its not that noticeable but is when its pointed out (if you know what I mean). Should I just live with it, or should I insist on perfection and get them to re-do it?

Attachments

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
as long as it dosent leak should be ok but isnt there supposed to be a weather seal accross the top there?

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only problem is they are not that local - not too far though. They'll only be open on Monday, when I will either be at work if I can make it, or at the hopsital for my physio appointment so wont really have time.

Might give them a call on Monday, but even so, couldnt even take it back next Saturday cause the missus is working then and I will have our daugter.

Don't suppose they will be able to receive an email with a pic to view and assess either considering they took my £50 excess using one of those old credit card paper swipe thingies - dont think technology is their strong point :}

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
totalguy said:
as long as it dosent leak should be ok but isnt there supposed to be a weather seal accross the top there?
No, its not like the MK2, the rear window is the same, the sealant that they have duffed up is the weather seal.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
DavePage said:
totalguy said:
No, its not like the MK2, the rear window is the same, the sealant that they have duffed up is the weather seal.
thats piss poor!!! id see if a mk2 one would fit or a universal type. I can understand why you aint happy now, im sure iwouldnt be either forking out 50 quid!!!

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its the styling of the car. The MK3 doesnt have the seal - I woudlnt want to put one one, dont think it would look right.

£50 aint that bad considering it would cost about £600 list for a new heated front screen - saying that RAC Windscreens will be getting a lot more than £50 for doing the job so it should be right :(

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
from the pics the strips that go down side of the window look identical to mk2 they probably are but maybe different size on mk3? the mk2 seal accross the top is a thin one just sits between the screen and roof.

not got any pics though so cant show you.

·
MEG Captain
3,040 Posts
how long after they fitted the screen did you drive off m8 i thought you had to leave them a fair while to cure
dont think i would be happy with it though

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They got the car at 9, told me to come back at 11 as it would need to be left for an hour. I got back there at about 11:15, got the keys and asked was it OK to drive and they said yes but to leave the masking tape on for another hour or so - which I did but it was starting to come off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts