Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2006 Ford KA 1.3 (only 22,000 miles!) for my son. When moving at low speed/low revs the steering is very heavy (parking is really hard) but when driving around or when keeping revs higher it is OK.

I suspect a pump issue which can be replaced cheaply enough, but before going to the effort of doing that I wondered if anyone had some ideas to try/test first.

I have:
Flushed and replaced fluid. Was quite black before, now red and clear.
Checked drive belt which doesn't squeal and looks in OK condition.
Found no fluid leaks.

Pump makes a little noise at full lock, but that seems to be quite common on old cars in my experience and is quiet otherwise.

Anything else I might have missed before I order the special tool to pull the pump pulley and taking things apart?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Do you need to take the pulley off? some replacement pumps (not sure if appropriate for your car) come complete with a pulley.

Either the pump is worn or the internal relief valve is stuck partially open - that would explain the usable pressure at higher revs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the of the guides I have looked at say one of the bolts is obscured by the pulley so it has to come off to get the pump out. The puller tool is only about £15 so it's not going to break the bank.

I think the same about the pump too, but on a car that has only done 22,000 miles I'm expecting more likely stuck than worn.

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,479 Posts
I think savage garage did one on utube if you needed any guidance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts