Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Inherited a 2003 Ford KA from my deceased sister (died last year). it's not in bad shape but on the drive home I found the brakes to be mildly alarming, particularly when compared to my 2015 Ford Bmax.

The KA has done less than 30,000 genuine one owner miles and so is definitely worth spending money on. I have heard that the simplest brake up-grade is to source Street KA or KA Sport brakes from a downer car, as they had superior braking system.

Has anyone got experience of such an upgrade, or further comments

The KA is a 2003 KA Collection
Leo.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If the car hasn't been used for a year or more, the brakes are likely to rusty & ineffective, possibly until the rust layer has worn away.
I suggest you measure the size (diameter & thickness) and condition of brake discs pads. Bleed & change the fluid before changing anything.
Does the servo work?
Disc & callipers vary depending on wheel size & type

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Master-of-none.
I understand what your saying and I will fully check the state of the existing braking system before embarking on any modifications.
The KA was off the road for 12 months until a couple of weeks ago when I put it through an MOT and Tax/insured it for the drive home.
Logic says that if it got through an MOT the brakes aren't actually lethal, but as I said, I found them disturbingly bad on the drive home. Many thanks for the link to the front brakes diagram, any other links you may have gratefully received.
Leo

·
Super Moderator
31,434 Posts
Its one thing passing an MOT and another thing actually working 100%.

For the handbrake to pass it only needs to be above 16% efficiency. I think they can also have a fairly
large imbalance before it fails, one wheel could have 25% less braking effect than the other wheel??
Not sure if thats a fail or an advisory? Either way they can be well below par and still pass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts