Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Little Megger
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an October 1998 Ghia X which I just bought. It only came with one key which has the three button remote. Went to Timpson key cutters today and was told they could make a duplicate for £70 where ford have quoted me £120 including programing. The person in Timpsons asked if I had a red key which I do not, so they said if they made a key it might not work. Is there anyway to find out other than paying out first?

I know the owner handbook is supposed to give information on this but unfortunatley the car did not have one with it.

Thanks

·
Megger
57 Posts
on my 03/99 I have 2 coded keys with coloured dots which I keep in a safe place - I use these 2 keys to put the system into programming mode to code new keys. If you do not have at least 2 coded keys you cannot code new keys using the procedure in the handbook. I think the red key is for the earlier system.

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
Hi Everyone, I looked into this ages ago, As far as Mondeo's go, they use PATS 1, or
PATS 2.

PATS 1
You need a RED key and ANY coded key to code new keys to start the car.There are
also little "windows" on the door handles.

PATS 2
You need ANY two coded keys to code new keys to start the car. There is no red key,
and no "windows" on the door handles.

ANY key, as in normal key or remote.
If you don't have the keys required, Ford have to do it and it can cost £100 plus.

But before you go to Fords, send a Personal message to lee_m05 on this site, and see if he can help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts