Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Had a quick search but my can't find my "issue" listed

I am worried because I can't manually unlock door, key will manually lock without problem but I can't turn the key to lock it

Of course this is not a problem with remote fob, but what if battery goes or I lose it as the spare has no remote function

If I replaced the mechanism would I need to replace key?

Any advice gratefully received

Mart

·
Super Moderator
29,701 Posts
Either seized or someone replaced the ignition or door lock and the key now only

fits the ignition.

You can buy new locks with the parts to make a new one to suit your own key.

And yes any tibbe key will lock the door thats normal, its a stupid idea but normal.

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,252 Posts
All ford keys can lock any ford door lock. Which is how my dad locked his keys in the ignition. But if it won't unlock I suspect the key doesn't match the door lock

·
Little Megger
4,438 Posts
Does your spare key unlock it?

Reactions: silvercanary

·
Ford "Mechanic"
387 Posts
if your lock barrel is screwed you only really need one of the one-way barrel retention clips and the exact replacement "coded-washers" which match the profile of your key. You only really need the 6 washers and not an entire barrel kit (for £100!).

IDK what the washers are called but i have some in my toolbox but I'm not sure if they are new or old tbh. i guess if you could figure out the profile of your key i could post them to you if i can identify some good ones. or someone with definitely new spares from building locks could send some to you - i also don't think i have a retention clip. There's little point installing worn inserts! And then all you need is the retention clip (the old one will likely be destroyed when you remove it to deconstruct the barrel). There are always spares in a kit a mechanic builds themself; barrels can be ordered pre-assembled to a specific key number too which means no spare discs/washers but someone should have a hoard of them somewhere on the planet though i do rememebr throwing dozens away back in the day.

It's not particularly complicated (once you've done a dozen) to rebuild a lock (once its out of the car), there's no bolts that need to be torqued. it just all needs to go back together the way it came apart and is a bit fiddly...

this will help identify the number of your key it's 6 numbers, that are either 1,2,3,4. Confusingly in this link [http://www.aphenos.net/scorpio/misc/keys/keys.htm ]they use 0 in place of 1 but they do show clearly how to identify the number (in their case T134232 not T023121) - there are only 1,2,3,4 numbered discs in a lock kit it all becomes clear when you see it if you don't understand now! A blank key is essentially T111111 (the T indicates the handle end of the key - 1 indicates no cut). The same profile number is ground out of each of the 4 faces of the key (if it's 1 then none is removed).

this is also relevant http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/199837-replace-a-drivers-door-lock-barrel/ and this <a>too http://www.locksmithledger.com/article/10229274/tibbe-rides-again</a>

·
Super Moderator
29,701 Posts
The numbered washers maybe called wafers, I think the locksmiths call them wafer locks?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all

Thanks for the replies

I contacted the breaker who has the whole lock mechanism,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-MK3-FRONT-DRIVER-O-S-F-CENTRAL-DOOR-LOCK-ACTUATOR-ASSY-2004-2007/282780679407?hash=item41d70abcef:g:QwAAAOSw44BYLa3l

i asked him if my existing key would work he replied that it would work. I thought it would be unlikely :crazy: or would I have to rebuild the barrel like Silver Canary mentioned?

is this the sort of thing (similar to ignition barrel)?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OE-FORD-MONDEO-MK3-STEERING-IGNITION-LOCK-BARREL-CYLINDER-REPAIR-REBUILD-KIT-/281158522567

·
Dash cams, catch &#39;em out :)
13,087 Posts
The wafers or leaves (depending on who you speak to) are easy to buy and fit yourself.
There are usually plenty of lock repair kits on ebay for not much money.
Its better to buy the lock repair kit new rather than try to re use old ones as they rarely match up properly cause more trouble than they are worth.

The above is of course only useful if the lock internals are at fault. A common issue with the mk3 is that a small metal rod inside the lock mechanism becomes dislodged and prevents the lock from operating correctly.

·
Big Megger
3,051 Posts
This is what you will need to get your key to fit the lock - a scrappy's lock barrel will not fit your key.

Mk3 lock cylinder repair kit

s-l225.jpg

off e Bay or dealer- it's a fiddly job but can be done. Info in the forum for identifying your key code.

·
13,087 Posts
There are dedicated door lock repair kits like this for £30, but if all you want to replace are the internal parts you can buy an ignition barrel repair kit for £20 and use the parts from that.
This pic shows the small rod that often causes the issue.

Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Material property

Attachments

·
Ford &quot;Mechanic&quot;
387 Posts
the first ebay item is not a lock, really it is a latch. the lock is the barrel. the latches generally do fit multiple cars but they are just a generic part unlike the barrel.

http://www.aphenos.net/scorpio/misc/keys/keys.htm this page explains it. but as i said already the "wafers" are numbered 1234 and not 0123 like this page above says...

I could tell you the key code if you upload a good close-up side profile pic of your key somewhere like dropbox (not on here in public tho). send me a pm or work it out using the page above. that being said you don't need to know the code as if you don't mix up the old wafers when you take them out you can read the order they were put in and simply replace them with new ones.

The ignition lock barrel kit doesn't have the anti-tamper retention clip. You need a door lock barrel repair kit if you destroy the old retention clip (the white washer thing in the picture) accessing the tumblers / wafers. I haven't done one of these locks so i don't know if you wreck the old one or not? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-II-III-MK2-MK3-FRONT-DOOR-LOCK-BARREL-CYLINDER-REBUILD-REPAIR-KIT-RH/251328073779?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D48786%26meid%3D6495580e8352471c9d8a6d6125e9bdd5%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D311943911541&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1
s-l1600.jpg

The wafers if you flip them over will have numbers on but its important they are the right way around or the pin thing won't line up properly so be sure to put it all back in the way it came out and you are good.

if you drop it all the order of the three things to go in the barrel (spring-washer, flat washers and wafers) in the barrel is (i think) spring-washer/wafer/washer/wafer/washer/wafer/washer/wafer/washer/wafer/washer/wafer/washer.

they all fit in and line up with the pin slot one way only. you will see it when you look at it.

:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the Youtube link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the next video mentioned a black plastic tag with T-code printed on it

and as luck would have it the tag is on my spare key!

thanks again

mart

·
13,087 Posts
This pic is useful to keep for info.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts