Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do ford give us a tool which does not actually fit the wheel nuts? Anyway I have chewed-up a couple of wheel nuts so I need to get some more. The question is - I can carry a torque wrench with me, but what sort of socket do you recommend to use? The wheel nuts (65 plate Focus) seem to be slightly tapered, I tried a 3/4" hex socket, no good. Any advice, please?

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,460 Posts
Tapered?, that sounds a bit odd, are they damaged. It is not 3/4" socket, it is a mm you want.
Also, most important, to avoid damaging nuts, you need a six sided type socket that fits the exact sides of the nut.
Best way I can describe is they are designed/capable/recommended to be use with an air gun (usually overtightened by fitters who know no better)
These sockets are usually Matt black in colour. Should be available in individual sizes at Halfords etc

Reactions: HC56

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Why do ford give us a tool which does not actually fit the wheel nuts? Anyway I have chewed-up a couple of wheel nuts so I need to get some more. The question is - I can carry a torque wrench with me, but what sort of socket do you recommend to use? The wheel nuts (65 plate Focus) seem to be slightly tapered, I tried a 3/4" hex socket, no good. Any advice, please?
Don’t Think they are that expensive....buy yourself the good old fashioned “Spider”....It’s an X shape With the 4 different sizes for any car...Advantage is you have Good leverage and can use two hands....Ford wheel nuts are rubbish as TreborB just stated....Every time I got a tyre replacement the over zealous fitter would break the alloy cap on the bolt revealing a rusty nut!....I invested in a set of 16 from an ebay seller in GB in chrome along with 4 new chrome locking wheel nuts....If memory serves the nuts are 18mm Head size....check out the better solid nuts on ebay...Not expensive and a heck of a lot stronger... I kept original ones in boot for the odd scratch lol!!!....Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
MEG Corporal
2,691 Posts
Standard Ford nuts are 19mm, I just replaced two nuts as the chrome cap fell off one whilst driving and another kept coming off with the socket. I bought these nuts which are genuine Ford and exactly the same as what's on the car. Ideally you need to get the same type to what is fitted on your car; older Ford nuts have a loose conical collar but these have a fixed conical collar (if that's how it's described). Both have different torque requirements.
I actually had some spare nuts from my old W reg Mondeo (loose collar) and was going to use them until I read about the differing torque requirements and reasons for not using them (sorry I can't remember why, but at minimum I didn't want to mix the type of nuts). Generally, my understanding was that the loose collar nuts didn't need to be torqued up so much, 85nm on the old car, 140nm on my current Mondeo (Was quite shocked at that when I first got the car and had to double check!)

I use one of these sockets with my breaker bar and torque wrench.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hi

There does seem to be a fault with Ford wheel nuts. Previous designs had a tough Nickel / Chrome finish and survived well. The items on my MK5 seem to be coated in a soft alloy, it may be internal corrosion that is causing them to swell. I have two or three that have a distinct taper, I found it necessary to try a selection of 19mm sockets to find the best fit.

I will have to check and replace faulty items in case I experience a flat and will not be relying on the folded metal wrench Ford supply.

Peter

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Hi

There does seem to be a fault with Ford wheel nuts. Previous designs had a tough Nickel / Chrome finish and survived well. The items on my MK5 seem to be coated in a soft alloy, it may be internal corrosion that is causing them to swell. I have two or three that have a distinct taper, I found it necessary to try a selection of 19mm sockets to find the best fit.

I will have to check and replace faulty items in case I experience a flat and will not be relying on the folded metal wrench Ford supply.

Peter
Cheers Pete... I got Head size wrong then (it’s an age thing) & Trying to work from my limited memory lol!!.... I do remember the thread size being M12 x 1.5.....The ones I bought was from a very reliable guy who I have used many times...He actually threw in a small tube of copper grease telling me to lightly smear the threads (Which surprised me with wheel nuts) and to avoid the impact gun for wheel nuts where possible....Every mechanic I have spoken too despise the original Ford wheel nuts and as you rightly pointed out the alloy shell cover goes an awful colour very quickly & I Too with original nuts had to have extra sockets on board as some of the nuts had developed this weird taper...Anyway, Ford themselves have since dropped the spinning washer ....I don’t know about newtons but learned from years of endless driving for work purposes & sometimes brake pad overheating from pushing the envelope to regularly checking at start/end of every shift to ensure tightness ...New ones seem to be holding the chrome Well but sadly our wonderful (not) UK roads has left what was pristine wheels now in need of refurb due to potholes but there are much more important and pressing repairs needed and everyone is feeling the squeeze....Lets Hope and Pray for a half decent winter & getting through this C19 business....Off Subject But anyone using home heating oil get it now... I near had kittens when I heard the price of a fill & clutch & timing belt will have to wait another while....So paranoid now I am driving car too slowly but we will get there eventually....Stay Safe All & Take Care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts