Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MEG Captain
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right got a really bad squealing/creaking noise tonight when turning left. Then I noticed it going over speed bumps, uneven roads. I pressed each corner on the front and I got the same noise. So is this the shocks or the springs as well?

What I really wanna know is if the car is driveable like this as I have a job interview tomorrow morning! :eyesup: And is there anything I can do to reduce the noise as it was rather embarassing?

Cheers

·
Love my cheap to run Mondy's
652 Posts
It's highly likely that you have broken front springs...very common. Less likely that you have knackered shocks making a noise...but you'll have to have a wee gander underneath to see. The springs typically break close to the bottom, about 360 degrees up from the bottom end. Not too difficult to replace yourself if you have the tools and the knowledge, but the suspension is a vital part of your car's safety, so if in doubt, get it done professionally.

Best of luck with the interview too.

·
MEG Captain
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well if the springs were broken I thought the car should look saggy, which it doesn't and what's the chance of both sides going at the same time?

The car has done 163K miles, 13K of that I've done. I didn't really have much history with the car so don't know when they were last replaced!

Cheers :L

·
MEG Captain
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well had it looked at earlier and the shocks are shagged, but I knew that anyway!

The noise is coming from a knackered lower ball joint. It looks like it's been caused from the hub nut coming loose and there being quite abit of play when you move the disc :shocked: Had it tightened up and the car is braking alot more sharply as well now...glad I got it looked at. So I need a new lower arm as well, just lucky it weren't the N/S one, that be a pain to change!

Any tips for changing the shocks and springs, I already know about spraying the pinch bolts a few days before hand?

·
652 Posts
The shocks and springs are actually fairly straightforward to replace if you have the diy skills and a haynes book. Once the pinch bolt is out, the rest ain't too difficult. Except....compressing the springs sufficiently and safely, to remove the top. I found I needed four spring compressors to get them down enough, though I saw one go off when a compressor slipped off a few years ago...so I am more cautious than I otherwise might be. Once the spring/shocker is rebuilt, it's just a simple reassembly, and torgue everything back up again. Best of luck.

·
652 Posts
Think I got mine from local motor factor...maybe fifteen quid for a pair!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.