Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I've recently installed FK STREET COILOVERS to my 09 focus mk2 1.8tdci. Upon installation I had to replace both front drop links as they were really worn and one had actually broke. The fronts seemed to go in pretty easily, as for the backs what a ball ache! these are still yet to be put in as I wasn't able to remove the rear springs as fitment was on axle stands.

MY POINT IS..

After installation, I have noticed knocking noises from the front suspension which is rather worrying. I've highered the car a bit and checked all bolts and everything seems to be tight. The noise is pretty noticeable and with replacing the drop links I haven't got a clue what might be knocking. Anyone had any similar problems? any advice would be really handy as pretty worried about driving it now.

(ALSO used the original top mounts)

Adam.

1939802_10152295202221204_2143018686_n.j

1470098_10152135307506204_1178530108_n.j

1017153_10152232694931204_243359748_n.jp

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Checked the ARB for play? Maybe the bushings are weak.

Try prying on all suspension joints with the car on the ground and with it jacked up. Also re-check your work RE the coilovers. Perhaps something is awry and the drop link replacement has set it off origen is just coincidental.

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Checked the ARB for play? Maybe the bushings are weak.

Try prying on all suspension joints with the car on the ground and with it jacked up. Also re-check your work RE the coilovers. Perhaps something is awry and the drop link replacement has set it off origen is just coincidental.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, have replaced the anti roll bars today as the bushes were shagged and literally came away in my hands. Although knocking noise still is there and is really irritating me. Feels fine to drive but the knocking can be heard and slight vibration in the steering wheel nothing major. Will get it up on the ramp tomorrow and do what you said, see if anything is loose of any play in the springs or strut etc. What would have to be done to fix the origen if it has been set off? The car isn't sat very low at the moment so I've ruled out the ARB hitting the drive shaft.

If all is tight and looks fine after going over it I may be inclined to replace the top mounts for new ones.

A friend of mine who is a mechanic suggests I may need shortened drop links, what difference would this make by having shorter?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Sorry bud that was a spelling error, my phone keyboard is a little rubbish sometimes, it won't even let me funking swear... See :)

Sounds like a good plan. How much adjustment do you have in those coilovers? Wondering if the noise will disappear if you set the ride height differently. The bit that secures the spring when you jack the car (if they have them), are they secure and doing their job? Just another thing to check.

What brand of drop link did you get? I've found Ocap links to be sub par. Denso and Lemforder are both excellent. I think I've used Valeo too, can't remember. Ocap never lasted more than a year, so they'd fail mot one year then fail the next year too.

I've heard of adjustable links but to be totally honest not sure the difference they make or how to explain it. I can visualise what's shorter link would look like but not sure of the over all effect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha that's alright. The adjustment as fk say is supposedly 30mm - 100mm drop. I currently have the coilovers wound virtually to the top so the car has been lowered but only slightly so I would say atm they are sitting around the 30mm lower than standard ride height. However they will only be staying at this height until they have fully settled in, well that was the original plan anyway. Now that I am having some problems I think they won't be going as low as I hoped anytime soon. On the first picture I posted would be how I will eventually have them. Thinking now, I don't remember having the knocking noise the day I put them on. When I did this they were wound right down with only 7 threads remaining. I don't remember hearing the knocking noises then or that could be down to me being more concerned about the wheel rub in the arches! lol

With regards to the part that secures the spring, i believe it to be tight and secure but that's another thing that is worth a check tomorrow! I've checked the plastic spacer between the helper and main spring and that seems to be in the right place and not making the springs bind.

I didn't really take note as to what make the drop links were that i replaced the standard ones with, i went down to a local gsf and replaced them with standard ones that they had just to see if the knocking disappeared, not sure whether they're the same make as what ford use.

I think what i will do is complete all the checks that we discussed, see if i find any faults that maybe causing the knocking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, had the car up on the ramp today. Checked all ball joints drop links anti roll bars and the coilover clamps that hold in the suspension. Everything seems to be tight.. Checked all my work and made sure everything was tight. There's nothing loose and these is no play what so ever! Nothing is rubbing on the drive shaft, firstly thought the long anti roll bar was hitting the sub frame but this was not the case! Everything seems fine and how it should.
HOWEVER after lowering the car off the ramp, the knocking noise was still there but coming from mainly the left side. Sounds like a drop link noise but everything checked out fine! ANOTHER HOWEVER.. A couple of miles later i am now getting a sound from the drivers side!! Metal on metal sound as well as the noise on the passenger side :(
MY THOUGHTS ARE:
. Maybe the problem is the nylock nut that goes on top of the strut holding the top mount in place isn't tight enough or has come loose? (The 17mm nut with the allen key thread) ???????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.