Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Megger
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right,

Just when i thought we're all good in the engine dept coz my MPG had risen to 27mpg around town ... i notice a suspicious sound :headshake:

Sorry if this has been asked 1000 time before :whistling:

Done an extensive search on this board for the V6 engine knocking, read it all, and i'm still not convinced i've got a problem.

The motor has done 130k - so i dont expect it to be factory 'smooth', but there is a dull hollow popping/knocking sound when gently pulling away upto about 2500rpm, then the general sound of the engine drowns the noise out. It's not masively loud, if i've got my radio on more than Volume level 6 i cant hear it at all.

The noise isnt a metallic knock or clonk - imagine getting a plastic tupperware box and gently tapping on it with your fingers - a bit like that. :tongue:

It follows the engine revs perfectly, and is mostly audiable when moving of from junctions etc.
I dont think its there when revving it in neutral at a standstill, and when driving with the noise present, if i dip the clutch and rev the car i cant notice it either.

It seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine (left side when looking at the engine with bonnet up)

On tickover with the bonnet up, if i stick my ear down that side of the engine - i can hear something - but its so so quiet i think it may just be general engine noise, or me being paranoid.

Almost 100% sure its from the engine - dont think its a running gear sound (driveshaft/gearbox etc)

Is it something to worry about, or am i simply describing induction nosie - but i thought that would have been from the other side of the engine bay?

Oil is bang on MAX. Water level hasnt moved since i got the car. Only other problem i've noticed is a slight but audiable 'tick' noise coming from the top end, whick i guess is injectors.

Any pointers or recommended garages i can take it to in the north east who know the duratec very well?

Thanks in advance,
Wez.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
without hearing it it's impossible to say but check the engine mounts and lower arms.

·
Megger
106 Posts
Right, noise isnt there when theres no load on the engine - it'll rev all day in neutral as quiet as a mouse.

I made the below recording on my drive pulling away in 2nd with handbrake on and it was still crawling up the drive! The noise is only present once the clutch bites and gives the engine something to do.

I'm sure its engine related - the mic was pointing towards the sump on drivers side.

You might want to get ready on your volume control first! :tongue: 6 - 7 secs into the clip is where you can hear it best.

WAVE FILE

See what ya think!?
Cheers,
Wez.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sounds like a normal V6 to me.
I can here something. It could be pulley related. Perhaps a worn aux belt pulley.

My gear box makes a noise in neutral a bit like that. If I put the clutch in it goes away.

I guess from your posts you hinting towards big end bearings but they would make much more noise than that when they go.

·
Megger
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick reply

yeah there is a odd whirring rattling sound - think it is something to do with the belts.

Was more of the dull clonking sound i was worried about though, but i've never really heard another v6er long enough to compare.

It does have a K&N element and a scorpion exhaust system if that makes any difference?

Like i say - i am leaning towards bottom end noise - but might just be being paranoid with all the horror stories on here!

Cheers

·
Registered
305 Posts
Can you hear the noise if you rev it at stand still?

I think, may be wrong that worn big end bearings are quiter under load so you would hear it worse when the engine is not loaded, worth a try?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Can't hear the soundtrack as don't have speakers at work...

However, it could be the main bearings at that end getting a little tired. They rumble more than knock.

Without hearing it tho......

Try and ignore it (easy to say) and basically monitor it. Change the oil in quick succession and look for any metallic content. Might cost a few quid but may spot something that will save in the long run.

Sorry, not a lot of help...

·
Megger
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope - no noise at all unless theres load on the engine. At a standstill in neutral it's all peachy ;)

I've got some motorcraft 5w30 and matching oil filter - so will service it asaf - prob friday.

Any info is helpful m8ty :L

Ive done a few hundred miles since i first noticed it - cant say its got any louder.

Cheers.

·
MEG Sergeant
1,274 Posts
Mine has started making the same sort of noise as well mate. I've noticed that mine only does it when it's warmed up though :confused: :confused:

I've read al sorts of noise posts about head gaskets, manifolds leaking etc etc but to me if it were the head or manifold gaskets then it would do it all the time not just when it's under some load :confused:

Keep us posted what you find out mate :L

·
Megger
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To tell ya the truth i'm just gonna use the car as normal but not give it a hard time.

If it gets no worse over a month or so then i'll learn to ignore it and live with it ... tell ya the truth it might not even be a fault.

If it gets louder then i'll go on ebay for spare/repair ;)

I'll see how it goes,
Wez

·
Big Megger
300 Posts
From reading your post it sounds like it may be pinking, this is bad, it will run higher than normal cylinder temps and may lead to melting pistons! This could be down to faulty HEGO sensors, if i were you id get somebody who knows what they're doing to have a listen, just to be on the safe side.

·
Megger
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh,

Is HEGO the lambda sensor?

Would that account for my total random mpg?

You may be onto someting here :eyesup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts