Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Megger
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ho one and all,

Spent one hour attempting to undo the rear knuckle pinch bolt. Wire brush and PlusGas first, impact driver does zilch; breaker bar worries me as I don't want to shear or round the head but I cannot move the bolt; probably not sufficient heat (plumbers blow torch) made no difference. Finally used my new manual hammer impact tool. Difficult to get a decent swing to zap the tool (wheel arch liner and exhaust in the way) but after plenty of hammering and frequently hitting my fingers(!) nothing.

No movement whatsoever. What can I do? Is there a secret I don't 'd know about? is it easier to undo if the entire strut is out of the car?

·
Clever Clauggs
4,300 Posts
I would keep trying with the loosening and tightening method with the hammer impact ,after i rounded, heated, chiselled the pinch bolt i took it to be oxy-acetylene charged me £42.

·
Megger
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next time I'm bored, will try again. The hammer impact is probably the way to go, but by the time I have fitted the socket adaptor, there is not really much room to swing the hammer. I also had to hold the driver with the mole grips after virtually hitting my hand / wrist a couple of times!

·
Clever Clauggs
4,300 Posts
Other day when i hammered heated oiled and rounded the caliper carrier bolt, i hacksawed the head off, leaving thin layer of the flange and a little of the head to chisel, the nut gave straight away, so i think its the flange part that is seized on and gave me grief and definitely not the covered thread, i know with pinch bolt its exposed in the middle and tip end that also seize, try scoring away rust with a stanley blade around the flange of the nut and knuckle body if possible also clean the middle thread, might help release bolt .

·
Megger
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found a Chas Coombes video of him removing the rear suspension pinch bolt. Certainly, he had removed the entire strut but after cleaning and squirting with PlusGas, he jsut attached it with his impact wrench. Anti-clock, clock, anti, clock, more PlusGas and did it again. After around five mins for tooing and frooing, the bolt came out.

·
Mondeo Lover
771 Posts
never had a problem with my pinch bolts, the first time I had to change a shock I wire brushed the exposed threads, plenty of plusgas and just went for it and out they came no problem, before this they looked like they had on the Titanic at the bottom of the sea for 100 years.

·
Mosquito
249 Posts
If you are in no rush, leave the penetrating fluid on it overnight. Reapply next day whilst using a wire brush.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts