Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Left Or Right Hand Brake Caliper Wind Back Tool

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  PURPLE_2L_LX 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm going to be replacing all my braked pads & discs in the next few days and was wondering weather it's a left or right handed wind back tool i need to wind the calipers back on my Mondeo?

2008 2.0TDCi 140BHP Hatchback

Thanks!

#2 ·
Where are You, I did all the discs and pads on mine on Sunday. If your near Guildford you could borrow mine, works on both sides on the rear (didn't know there was a left and right), however the front it doesn't work as the bore is huge. I easily squeezed the fronts in with a pair of grips tho.

#4 ·
i believe you only need the wind back tool on the rear anyway. The front i usually do with a bit of flat plate across the piston, and a clamp. I have used a small grinder spanner, and plumbers pliers to wind them in before, but be careful of the seal, and put a bit of pvc tape round plier jaws to stop them marking the piston.

#5 ·
Its a right hand thread, so you'll need to turn the rear pistons clockwise to retract them into the calipers.

Reactions: andyjstew
#7 ·
Yes, only needed on rear. Right hand thread. Just done mine. Bought the full wind back kit off e bay, only £15 ! Brill

#9 ·
You can get a right and left handed kit for £20 on Amazon. Identical to the £40 kit sold by euro
which works well.

Some calipers go left and some go right, it can depend on the model year, brand of caliper and even
vary between the hatchback and estate versions.

Save the hassle and get the £20 kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.