Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Megger
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ho one and all,

Yet again, my favourite tool shop (Lidl) had a battery operated torque wrench available. Do I need it? Not really as I have a Parkside mains version but it is frequently too large to access a both/nut with the socket and it does not undo very tight (rusted) bolts / nuts.

Looking at on-line reviews, seems the Parkside wrenches that go up to 400nM are a reasonably good tool for non-professional use.

However, some of the reviews are comparing the impact wrench with the impact drill/driver. And the impact drill/driver with an adaptor to take 1/4" drive sockets seems as good and the 1/4" drive wrench.

But, what is the opinion regarding using a drill/driver on big nuts/bolts with a 1/4" adaptor when the entire torque is going via a rather thin shaft? Seems strange to put all that torque through a small diameter shaft. This adaptor in the videos is for a 1/4" drive.

Handheld power drill Pneumatic tool Tool Impact driver Gas

· Super Moderator
31,912 Posts
Seen some advertise impact drivers as wrenches which they clearly are not. Saying that they work very well in
the right situation. I have the Ryobi One+ impact driver and it often amazes me by removing rusted screws
where I was expecting it to strip.

This surprised me. 800inch pounds for a $1 tool approx 66ft lbs.

· Super Moderator
31,912 Posts
Depends how much torque your putting through it. Still 40ft lbs on some of them. I think some lasted longer
using the impact driver rather than by hand. But that real cheap one surprised me, I was expecting it to last
seconds and fail on a 10mm nut nothing like the 60ft lbs it achieved.

· Megger
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having seen the on-line video reviews,, I have bought one. Seems the B2 is considered quite reasonable and this is a B2 version. Now I have an impact wrench for each hand; that should get the jobs done faster.

My hope is that with the greater undo torque, it will make life easier on the really resistant nuts and bolts. I assume that a high impact torque is less likely to snap the head off than using a breaker bar, but what do I know?

· Megger
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see the my title is incorrect, that should have been Lidl Impact Wrench . Sorry!

I am planning to replace the rear tie rods and as I have never had the two bolts that hold that bracket to the body off, assuming they may be well and truly rusted in place. I will of course, clean and give a shot of PlusGas but....

Is an impact wrench better at releasing tight (rusted) bolts or a breaker bar? Obviously, I don't want to shear the bolts.

Thanks and toodle pip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts