Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi there,
I had a bit of a bump last week, and i'm currently trying to get the insurance sorted (Just got my courtesy car, a 56 reg Focus 1.8 Ghia, what an awkward car!).

They havent been out to inspect it yet, but its a 2000(X) Mk 2 Mondeo LX, it has minor cosmetic damage to the rear bumper (A horizontal crack about 7" in length) a knackard exhaust and the passenger side electric window doesnt work any more.

its a high miler at 170k and it has a few small problems not accident related (The power steering judders at low speed and squeels at full lock)

My question is this, are they likely to write it off?

Different people are telling me very different things, some that they are almost certain to write it off, others that they are highly unlikely to.

Some that i will be able to buy it back from them if they do, others that i wont.

I'm hoping they will just repair it, because with the mileage being so high i suspect i wont get much for it, probably about what i paid which was 750. And at least i know whats wrong with this car, and i like it.

I figured that someone on here must have some idea on the subject.

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
I think you will need to prove that the mechanical
faults were caused by the accident.
In some case of a minor knock to rear bumper,
they won't even check anything else.
So you should be ready to speak to the Insurance
Engineer,who will do the sanctioning for the
repair,and make it known to him about the things,
that you have mentioned on here.
They could offer to not repair the car and offer
you the salvage,+ cash.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i thought as much, i've informed my insurance company as to what the damage is, and i'll be sure to make sure the engineer is aware of the other damage.

As for the option of salvage + cash, do i have the option to buy the car back or whatever from them? Repair it myself and put it back on the roads?

Because to be honest i'd rather do that than have to go looking for another car.

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
Those are the sort of options you need to be aware of.
I would speak to the Insurance Engineer,you can discuss with him about how you would like things
to proceed.
If you fancy repairing the car yourself,ask him
for a salvage plus cash offer.
The car will be wrote off probably to the lowest
category,you will then have to go through the
VIC check up,and new MOT.
Try and weigh up all the pro's and con's.

·
MEG Corporal
533 Posts
The cost of the repair will be decided by the engineer's report to your ins co. IF the cost of repair approaches 50% of their view of the car's value then they will consider "writing it off" and making you an offer based on their value, initially. You can try to argue around the figure but it will be minus any excess you pay on any claim.

At that point you can ask for a salvage figure - again they will deduct any excess first! If you agree this figure then you can collect the car and take it to the repairer of your choice BUT I would strongly advise you to get your chosen repairer to look at the vehicle before you go down this route - you don't want to take the car only to find the cost of repair exceeds the salvage offer (do you???).

Once repairs are complete then you will have to arrange for the Vehicle Inspectorate to inspect it to ensure repiar standards are acceptable and then for an MOT.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, i think most likely the cost of the repairs will be at worst a full new exhaust and a new electric window setup.

More likely i'll be able to get away with less than a full exhaust.

The bumper i'll stick some electrical tape over, its not really that bad and if its going to save me some cash i'm not bothered.

Does anyone have any rough idea what the salvage value on a car of this nature might be? I know that the sticker price on Parkers for this car is between £1400 and £2000 but thats based on 60,000 miles so it will be considerably less than that.

I'll be happy if i get enough to repair the car properly (Including the bumper really) and have nothing left over.

I know a couple of mechanics who can probably do a lot of the labour on the cheap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
sorry mate but it will likely be an eco write off ie; they will get a qoute from ford...
if it cost's more then the value of the car thats what will happen..

I just got a 2.0si K reg for £130 that was a cat C write off and the only damage on it was very slight dent in the front bumper...
the car was very well looked after I would go as faras to say show room condition...

U can keep the car but u would have to have a VIC test done... £36..

I would take the car to fords and get a qoute from them it will give u an idear of what to expect...

so search some of the repairable salvage sites
trents.co.uk...

I would value ur car at £700-£1000

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, i just checked with my mate and he's said that he has a door that will fit one of these with a full electric setup, so that wont be expensive, and he also has a spare catalytic converter, so i wont need that when i change the exhaust.

I'm a bit annoyed about the injuries compen though, £100 for 3 days off work, it doesnt even cover the loss of earnings (Being a civil servant i get paid anyway, but thats not the point)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Calaerial1 said:
I'm a bit annoyed about the injuries compen though, £100 for 3 days off work, it doesnt even cover the loss of earnings (Being a civil servant i get paid anyway, but thats not the point)
Query this and provide a copy of salary - they will offer more.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the really sad thing is that £100 isnt even what the other guys insurance have offered me. Its what my solicitors reckon my injuries are worth!

They're setting their sights high, thats for sure!

I thought i was doing right by going back to work after only 3 days because i only have a light job, if i'd known this i'd have hammed it up for another week!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.