Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TwoSpanner
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently decided to find out why only one half of my windscreen quickclear works. I checked the fuses, no problem. Removed the plastic grille from the front and voila, there is a loose wire! There are two wires on either side, one seems to run up the side of the window to I guess the top and a much shorter one that connects to the underside of the window at the bottom...somehow. I've looked at the working side but I can't get a good enough view to see how the short wire connects or what to.

Anybody know how this wire connects? Do I have to have to remove the windscreen to re-connect the wire?

Any help greatly appreciated in view of the upcoming weather!

·
Super Moderator
30,298 Posts
Is it not just the connector at the base? A few people have found that to the the issue.

If its the part that sticks to the screen you need something that will bond it and retain the
electrical connection.

Silver solder paint maybe and hot melt glue or silicon sealant to secure it?

·
TwoSpanner
182 Posts
This might have been soldered but it looks like it's a bent clip or something that might have attached to a tang on the underside of the screen. On the other side it just disappears under the window, even with a small mirror I can't see far enough up to see what it connects to.

Automotive tire Hood Rim Automotive exterior Gas

Attachments

·
Over Enthusiastic
5,374 Posts
Too much current in that for silver paint, looks like a new screen Mark.

Pity it wasnt strain reliefed properly to prevent it becoming detached.

·
TwoSpanner
182 Posts
I'd love to know how it came off. There is plenty of spare cable and I assume it would have been fixed quite sturdily to avoid vibrating off. As far as I know it's the original screen.

A genuine Ford screen costs £100s, can I not just get somebody to lift the screen, re-attach the wire (if possible) and put the screen back? Even £100 in labour would be better than forking out for a new screen.

Update:

Best price from AutoGlass is £597.14 if I pay in full today. Just not worth it.

·
Over Enthusiastic
5,374 Posts
The element is a foil and depending on what it is made off and what remains for you to connect to will determine what can be done with it.

Looking closely I cant see anything that has broken, more like the tang has pulled out where it connects to the screen. Now to be honest I have never looked at how the connection is made to the screen element and I'm sure there are others on here who will be more knowledgeable than I on this.

·
TwoSpanner
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In these rather inclement conditions I will not be taking another look!

Besides, I'd need some clever gizmo to look under the glass and see what's there. Such a purchase could have future uses though and not just around the car. Some sort of snake-scope...

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
i saw mine when they fitted mine to the mk2, am pretty sure its the copper tab that the wire is joined to that's come off, maybe it could be re-attached, (soldered?) but i reckon it'd be a screen out job, and then with no guarantees... Mine only cost £60 excess on the insurance to replace, although they will be coming out to it in the near future as there are 2 strips that don't clear, it's only been in since april '12.

·
Little Megger
409 Posts
In these rather inclement conditions I will not be taking another look!

Besides, I'd need some clever gizmo to look under the glass and see what's there. Such a purchase could have future uses though and not just around the car. Some sort of snake-scope...
Just a thought but have you not thought of one of the little mirrors that the dentists use. I think there called dental care mirror. Have seen them in my local pound shop

1 - 10 of 10 Posts