Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im loosing oil on my 1995 mondeo 1.8 petrol.its done 103 thousand miles.im not loosing through the sump.and there is no blue smoke coming out of the exhaust.anyone got any ideas on what it cold be.oh and its not the rocker gasket.if i do a 100miles ive got to top up.need to no soon coz im starting my turbo conversion soon and i want it be right.i also thought i might be using the wrong oil im using 5/30 semi symthetic oil.or is there another brand i should be using :whistling:

·
Little Megger
58 Posts
Being pre 98, no reason why you can't try a 10W-40 semi synthetic ( or even mineral for that matter )
and see if that improves things - something like GTX Magnatec 10W-40.

Spokey

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
check the air filter and breather hoses?

if theres oil in there then suspect piston rings or holed piston. even if there's no loss in performance.

·
Little Megger
58 Posts
Only thing I'd say is that the 5W-30 is an A1/B1 type oil - this means its energy conserving and is a high temperature/high shear oil, so really your engine must be designed to use this type of oil or you "could" get a situation when the engine is hot where the viscosity of the oil isn't high enough to lubricate it properly. All Fords after 1998 went onto the WSS-M2C913B ( or 912a/913a ) spec which is a semi syn 5W-30 HTHS oil so they will be ok.
Check the handbook - if it says the 913 spec then you're ok.
Just that if it's burning oil, and it's because it's too thin, then going up a grade to a 10W-40 will maybe help matters ?

Spokey

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is what i have in my manual and goes somthing like this.multigrade engine oil,viscosity sae 5w/30,5w/40,10w/30 or 10w/40*, to ford specification wss-m2c912-a1,api sh or acea a1-96.what do the codes mean and what oil would u recomend.are the oils from the ford dealer different to the ones in the average car spares shop.the stuff i have in my car is called granville sapphire semi synthetic motor oil 5w/30 api-sl/cf acea a1/b1-98.does mean anything to u or does that help at all.is this the wrong oil in my car?any help on this one would be grate because this is begining to drive me up the wall.thanks :annoyed:

·
Registered
205 Posts
5W-30 is really the best to use in a zetec and is what most people on here will be using. If you take your car to fords they will also put 5W-30 in. The brand is not that critical and the benefits of expensive oil have been discussed a lot recently, do a search
Have you had a good look round to check its not leaking? It could be coming from the sump plug, oil pressure switch, oil fliter, rocker cover or either of the crankshaft seals. Have a good look round and get under the engine, and if you can get under it whilst its running, be careful though. Also put a sheet of cardboard under the car overnight and see if any appears on it
If your sure its not leaking then check for blue smoke on start up, if its burning it it could be down to worn piston rings or valve stem seals.
If it is burning it its in no fit state to be turbocharged.

·
Little Megger
58 Posts
That's ok - the manual is recommending the A1/B1 oil so no problems using the 5W-30 at all. The Ford own brand stuff meets the Ford specifications so no reason why it shouldn't be suitable ( it's what I have in mine ) - it's also a very good price - last 5 litres I bought were something like £11.00 !
You can still use an A3/B3 oil and I would still try a 10W-40 and see if that cures the problem.
Only thing I can think of is it's burning it - if it was leaking out somewhere you'd notice and there's nowhere else for it to go as it won't evaporate ... we,ll, not that quick :D

ACEA is the European specifications - A is Petrol B is diesel - A2 /B2 is "standard" ( although this spec is now incorporated into A3/B3 and is now obsolete ) A1/B1 is "fuel economy" and should only be used in engines designed for A1/B1 oils - A3/B3 are classed as performance specifications. There is a recent introduction of A5/B5 which incorporates the fuel economy of the A1/B1 with the performance of the A3/B3 - but like A1/B1, the engine has to be designed to use this spec.
Ignore the API - its the American spec and it is fairly useless in Europe as it isn't very defining.

Spokey

·
Never knowingly understood
23,164 Posts
Sorry if this is stating bleedin' the obvious.

Beyond the oil burn/ evaporation possibilities, have you looked underneath the car for signs of leakage. imo, The sump gasket is a favourite for leaking a little.

Andy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts