Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely this can't be right.. I had an oil change(with filter) last January..just checked my oil level and it wasn't even showing on the dipstick(no oil light on dashboard either)so I added some new oil 1 litre at a time and in the end I ended putting 3 litres of oil in.. I'm not burning any oil and I've not got any leaks?? Any ideas? 54 PLATE FORD FOCUS CMAX 1.8 PETROL DURATEC HE.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,466 Posts
On the understanding the oil level was correct when it was replaced, if you have no SERIOUS leaks there is no alternative, it is burning oil.
Why aren't you checking your oil level every week

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the understanding the oil level was correct when it was replaced, if you have no SERIOUS leaks there is no alternative, it is burning oil.
Why aren't you checking your oil level every week
yeh no leaks at all...im going to be checking every weekend from now on just incase theres no oil on dipstick ect

·
8 gears or more please
5,466 Posts
So, if you have no leaks the engine IS burning oil - needs investigating

The oil light will not come on unless the oil pick up pipe/oil pump cannot suck any oil up.

By the time the above happens and the light comes on it is, in the majority of times, past the point of no return - you require at least a crankshaft and bearings or even a new engine.

The first signs of very low oil is when you go round a sharp bend/corner, the oil light comes on as what bit of oil is in the sump washes away from the central pick up pipe.

Of course, you should be following recommendations in the handbook re when to check oil level!!!!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, if you have no leaks the engine IS burning oil - needs investigating

The oil light will not come on unless the oil pick up pipe/oil pump cannot suck any oil up.

By the time the above happens and the light comes on it is, in the majority of times, past the point of no return - you require at least a crankshaft and bearings or even a new engine.

The first signs of very low oil is when you go round a sharp bend/corner, the oil light comes on as what bit of oil is in the sump washes away from the central pick up pipe.

Of course, you should be following recommendations in the handbook re when to check oil level!!!!!!!
ive never seen the oil light on

·
8 gears or more please
5,466 Posts
Assuming it works, you would of done, very soon, if you had not topped the oil up, with possible total engine failure.

The best time to check oil is when veh has stood on flat surfce overnight.

Remove dipstick, wipe clean, and then re check

·
Megger
760 Posts
yeh thats what im going to do
My wife's c-max (56, same engine as yours) drank oil like it was going out of fashion. Eventually the oil burning ruined the cat and needed to be replaced. I think it got to burning about 1 litre every 1000kms / 660 miles.

It did surprise me once that the oil light came on - I think it was also faulty as it could get really low without it coming on most of the time.

The tell tale was puffs of blue smoke when I used engine braking ... I live near a steep long hill, and with a warm engine and costing down the hill in a low gear, I would then floor it when getting to the straight at the bottom. Instantly a large blue puff of smoke would appear in the rear view mirror. That would be the test you need to do. If that happens, then don't bother with the rest as your just confirming what you know (unless you plan on paying to get it sorted?!)

Most of the time, or when starting from cold, there was no smoke to be seen from the exhaust.

Got rid of it earlier this year on ~145,000 miles. Part ex-ed (got £200!) for a 2014 Kia Cee'd 1.6 diesel. Great car, strong engine and the fuel (and oil!) savings alone are paying for most of the 30 month loan that I took out to buy it. Happy wife.

The c-max was great to have whilst the kids were small and we even went to the west coast of France in it. But it became too much work in the end.

·
8 gears or more please
5,466 Posts
This thread is over a year old and Jonny never did bother to come back with findings/action taken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.