Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Loud Whining Turbo Sounding Noise Under Acceleration

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  titchy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi All,

My Mk4 2.0TDCI 140 08 plate Mondeo has developed a strange issue, when i accelerate either lightly or harshly in any gear there is a loud whining noise that sounds very similar to a turbo spooling up, it gets louder and higher pitched when the engine revs increase.

I have had a look under the bonnet and listened but have been unable to place it, looking for some help if anyone has perhaps experienced this?

If more help i will try to record the sound tomorrow and post if it helps?

Also, not sure if related but when the car is idling it sounds like there is a rough grinding noise which i have also been unable to place, the grinding isn't there all the time, it comes and goes and only at idle.

Thanks

#2 ·
whooshing noise? check your boost hoses, best off taking off to check, and replace if need be, i believe there are silicone hoses available which are better and cheaper than oem replacements.

#6 ·
some things I found out about the engine, the red arrow points to the connector for the glow plugs, the resistance of the plugs can be tested from this connector, the black arrow points to the air intake temperature sensor, this sensor can be cleaned if needed, the yellow arrow points to the manifold absolute pressure sensor (map), and the green arrow points to the boost pipe, the pipe runs down and connects to the air cooler, it comes out the other side of the cooler, runs under the engine and up the back and connects to the turbo.

Attachments

#8 ·
the grinding noise could be a failed bearing on a pulley or idler on the auxiliary belt, I would concentrate my listening to that area of the engine to rule it out, also sight through all the pulleys to make sure they are all running in line, also with the engine switched off wiggle all the pulleys and tensioners you can put your hands on to check for excess play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.