Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Mk4.5 2011 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Estate, business edition.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning; not sure where to post this - please redirect as necessary...

When I sit in my car, perhaps with the radio on...I get the attached "Low Battery" message. Is this a generic "I am letting you know that there is something on in the car and it will be drawing on the battery - just sayin'...." type warning, or is it that there's an issue?

Car has had some good motorway runs so would have thought the battery is getting topped up - albeit, a/c is on, radio is on...

What are the voltage values I need to be checking for the battery otherwise?

ForscanLTE showed nothing about the battery being an issue (unless I did it wrong).

MK4.5 2011 2.0 TDCI 163bhp.

Attachments

Registered
Hi AbingDan, I've had recent battery problems too. If you have a multimeter put it on DC then put the leads on the battery poles . You want to be getting a reading of 12.6v ideally but not less than 12.4. Anything less I would assume the battery is not holding charge ...maybe a dead cell or just old age.
Next check....turn everything on inside the car without the engine on, re-check the battery with multimeter, if the voltage drops very rapidly it is almost certainly a dead battery.
Next check...turn engine on and with the multimeter see what volts the battery reads, should be up around 14.4 ish . Also do this with everything turned on inside... lights, AC, radio, everything. The reading still needs to be up around 14+. If so the alternator is charging ok which further suggests bad battery.
If there are caps on the top of the battery just have a look inside to make sure it is sufficiently filled. You'll see max & min on the side to indicate. Just a warning ...my battery cells all appeared ok but on removal one cell was way below minimum , a possible air bubble made it look ok in situ.
I did these checks over a few days and even though the car drove fine I knew there was an issue. In the end I had a garage put their tester on the battery and it was only operating on 59% capacity. Obviously I had a new battery and now all is ok. Better than a new alternator at least.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Registered
Mines been coming up regularly even though i bought a new battery two years ago when it wouldn't start.

I ignore it until it doesn't start.

Check with a meter if it's 12.6 not less than 12.4 overnight it's fine

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfect, thank you for the thorough answers - exactly what I was looking for!

MEG Corporal
Don't know about ForscanLTE, but on the laptop version if the BAT_ST_CHRG % gets to about 50-55% on my car then I get the 'low battery' message.

This was taken in Feb this year, about a week after I fitted a new battery. Battery age says 4 days because it took me a while to get the reset procedure right (couldn't do it in Forscan for some reason, but it did used to work, weird). Not checked it in a while but seems ok and I can leave the radio on (with the engine off) for the whole hour...though it did run the battery down once, I didn't charge it and just drove it about and it's been fine since.

Worth reading up on how the Smart Charge works as that seems to cause some problems with charging, especially on short journeys...in my limited understanding of it, it doesn't charge like old cars do where it will charge when the engine is just running, instead it charges when the engine is running and not under a set amount of load (or no load)...so high revs won't necessarily be charging the battery, whereas rolling down a hill in gear will as there's no load...something like that. Someone smarter than me might know more or give a better summary of it. ;)

Registered
Worth reading up on how the Smart Charge works as that seems to cause some problems with charging, especially on short journeys...in my limited understanding of it, it doesn't charge like old cars do where it will charge when the engine is just running, instead it charges when the engine is running and not under a set amount of load (or no load)...so high revs won't necessarily be charging the battery, whereas rolling down a hill in gear will as there's no load...something like that. Someone smarter than me might know more or give a better summary of it. ;)

That was my limited understanding of the charging system too.

I read it was due to help reduce emmissions

The Alternator is prioritised to supplying things in use.

In effect short trips with air-con on etc would mean the battery was maintained at the minimum needed to start the engine at not be charged quickly as they used to..

So if the battery was on the way out it may not be able to start. Especially winter.

Driving with no accessories on helps get rid of the warning again after a good run.

I rarely do "Good runs".

Super Moderator
I fitted a Bosch S5 110 size battery 80Ah (the larger size) and still had the battery voltage warning if I left the
stereo on. But that was the first battery in many years that actually needed charging when new.

Replaced it with a Yuasa battery and no more voltage warnings even after sitting in the car for 2 hours with
the radio on.

Registered
Bought myself one of these which plugs into the power socket and tells me the voltage, also comes with usb sockets.not this one exactly but one similar.
Screenshot_20210711-160354.jpg

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Continued thanks.

I may look in to a usb voltage metre...who can resist a gadget!

Registered
I've had a low battery warning for quite a while but more recently getting more often and the radio would only stay on for a few mins. With the reduced driving since lockdown I've been topping up the battery with a charger.

However last week it finally gave up and wouldn't start the car, had to get a jump to get it started and get to a motor spares for a new battery.

After resetting the battery in the car it's now showing about 95% charge (old only managed about 80%)

But I've also noticed when driving the voltage on the conversmod now shows between 13.5 - 14v. When the old battery was on, especially over the last few months it was nearly always around 15.4v. So I'm guessing the car was always trying to pump more in to charge the battery to compensate for it slowly dying.

I got the conversmod to add the visual display for the parking sensors, but also added the voltage as an extra, I think it's a nice touch.

Attached is when I first had the conversmod, showing the visual for parking sensors.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...how do you get that display showing - is it just a setting? I have parking sensors too...and the battery voltage would be interesting to see...?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts