Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps, trying to get to the bottom of low MPG on my 2014 Series V DW10c TDCi 2.0L
Had car from 10K miles... now done 138K miles.
Never changed anything other than doing the 140>163 power upgrade with Forscan. (never noticed much difference in MPG after)
From new averaged 56MPG for several years doing mostly motorway (70+ MPH)
Now only 42 MPG doing mostly motorway (70+ MPH)

Recently changed the Fuel & Air filters and ran some Comma D-Tox through... no discernible difference (felt smoother though could be placebo)

Did a scan with Forscan Lite on my android HU using a VLinker FS... this is what I got after 5 minutes idling on the drive:
65% soot load.. Good or bad?
Both sensors stayed at 100c and 5v from cold and never changed as it warmed up...which tells me they probably aren't working? But why am I not getting any fault codes?
Or do they normally sit at 100 and need a good run to get them higher?
Any input from you guys would be very much appreciated :)
Light Product Font Technology Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
65% is OK. It will goto 300% when it finally fails too many regens and stops trying. Mine gets to around 80%
and then starts a regen.

Run it a bit longer with the OBDII reader attached if possible, check the exhaust temp when it gets around 80%,
It should exceed 600ºC

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
65% is OK. It will goto 300% when it finally fails too many regens and stops trying. Mine gets to around 80%
and then starts a regen.

Run it a bit longer with the OBDII reader attached if possible, check the exhaust temp when it gets around 80%,
It should exceed 600ºC
Thanks for the quick response :)
Running with the OBD scanner on isn't a problem as its connected to my headunit. I can just bring up the Forscan app and watch to see if anything changes.
I'll hopefully get out for a drive next week but I do wonder about those temperature readings, should they be at 100c when cold?
Looks like we have the same car by the way, mine is moondust silver...

·
Registered
12 Posts
After the has been standing still overnight, check all temp readings (fuel, intake air, coolant, ambient temp...) - they should all read about the same.

Having driven the car, check if any of the wheels is hot (=brakes binding).

I guess that the exhaust temps read 100C as default until the temp goes up during the regen? Others please elaborate on this! Also check if there is any difference between the EGR values (actual vs. desired).

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
Are you using the Torque App in the above picture or is that how Forscan looks now? Been a while since
I updated mine. A few reviews said it crashed already had it drop connections from the previous update.

Been a while since I added the PID's, cannot remember what I added and to which App.

Getting old me thinks, although I will have forgotten that in an hour. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahaha, age is upon us all buddy :)

That's the android app, Forscan Lite, I can run it on my headunit so no need for the laptop unless I'm altering something.
Motor vehicle Radio Automotive design Steering wheel Vehicle audio

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After the has been standing still overnight, check all temp readings (fuel, intake air, coolant, ambient temp...) - they should all read about the same.

Having driven the car, check if any of the wheels is hot (=brakes binding).

I guess that the exhaust temps read 100C as default until the temp goes up during the regen? Others please elaborate on this! Also check if there is any difference between the EGR values (actual vs. desired).
Hey bud, that was after a cold overnight start and the exhaust temps were all 100c
No issues with brakes, just had it's annual service and MOT, checked everything, no issues with the car at all... it's a dream!
Yeah, I'm wondering if they have a temp range of 100c+ and I'll only see a difference once driving.
EGR actual and desired were identical when engine running.

Cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK so after getting a good run this morning I think I have found the issue?
Firstly I have reverted the map back to 140PS DW10c using Forscan... all went well.
I had Forscan Lite running on a 70mph cruise into work (approx. 50 miles) this morning.
Temps soon got up to 500F+ and the soot load increased steadily for about 25 miles until the regen kicked in at about 75%.
The vaporiser switched on and the temperatures went up to over 1100F (this is edited as an app upate changed it from C to F and I hadn't noticed)
This continued for a few miles until the soot load showed about 25% then the vaporiser switched off and Temps reduced to 500F+.

However.... The soot load went straight back up to 60% within a minute??? and steadily increased to 66% after another 10 miles before I got to work.
I expect I'm going to get another regen on my way home this afternoon so my DPF must be blocked up I assume?

EGR differential was always marginal so the EGR seems to be behaving.

Is there a pressure sensor I should be watching as well?

Any thoughts chaps?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
NO, there are no additives to lower the burn temp or anything.

So update... Now I realise the app update had changed the default to Fahrenheit so the temperatures are fine. 🤦‍♂️
However, I decided to reset the DPF values before setting off home and almost immediately it reverted to 60% SOOT and climbed to 66% over the 50 mile journey.
Obviously something is wrong somewhere, either the DPF is partly blocked with ash or there is a sensor error.
This is a screenshot 5 miles from home:
Product Font Gadget Screenshot Technology

ON the + side my MPG is getting 'better' from the change back to original map.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I may drop the DPF and give it a flushing through. Seems pretty straight forward once you've got the bolts off!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So.... I've reset the soot & Load settings then gone on a short drive... Soot now remains at zero but the load eventually went up to 50%
Is the load Ash content?... also figured out how to change it back to Celsius.
This is sat idling after a 10 minute drive....
Why is boost pressure at 90%?
Flight instruments Font Air travel Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK so another 30 minute rural drive this morning and it's soon back to 65% soot & 70% load 😒
I think Ill drop it and clean it through, maybe ash build-up is causing it the clog up quickly?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Those soot values are perfectly normal so I wouldn't worry about it too much. When the values get high enough and the driving conditions are correct it'll start a regen as you saw before.

56 mpg that you saw originally is pretty unrealistic at 70 mph. Most of us see mid 40's.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hi Stevey, they are normal but the regen every 100 miles is too often surely?
To be honest, I could get 65mpg driving miss daisy when we first got it and 56mpg was an average 🤷‍♂️
No harm giving the DPF a flush and cleaning out the vapouriser whilst I'm at it.

I realise that modern diesel isn't as efficient as it was back then so 50MPG 'should' be achievable.

In contrast, my wife's 6 year old Audi A3 2.0 Tdi does 60MPG doing 70 mph 'gentle' motorway driving.... Smaller car but still..

·
Super Moderator
31,663 Posts
My MK4.5 is nowhere near as good as my old MK3's.

MK3 57mpg (140 miles) to the north east coast. MK4.5 45mpg. Maybe I should check how often mine regens.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Indeed Purple.. and this EGR thingimibob is certainly not helping matters. I may unplug that on my next big run to see what happens.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts