Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about lowering my Mk2 mondy, my mate suggested cutting the original springs? Has anybody here ever done that? I only want to lower it slightly as its on 16 inch alloys at the mo.

Any advice?

·
MEG Commander
2,041 Posts
NEVER do this! It's dangerous and an MOT failure. Buy the proper springs.

·
MEG Sergeant
2,338 Posts
for the price you can get springs. i wouldnt bother mate :headshake:

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
my mate had sawn down springs on a mk1 fiesta (done by previous owner), he was going round a roundabout in the damp and went out of control and rolled the car!

also dont use spring clamps.

check out mondeo lowering springs on ebay and google, loads of places sell them. koni make the kits separate now, i've found that koni springs are better than P.I. and Gmax etc, the konis dont rust and lose the powder coating. and the ride is OK with koni.

·
AWOL
19,522 Posts
All good advice above - ignore it at your peril. Do note that cut springs don't sit properly in the cup, and can jump out or around at the worst moment, mostly when you most need it to be solid (corners or heavy braking).

·
Registered
66 Posts
If i put 17" wheels on my Mk2, would it look silly if i didn't lower it?
:ponder:
If so, how much should it be lowered?

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
its worth geting the proper ones iv just done my mk2 40ml and it only cost me £85. and fited it with a friend. makes a huge difrence well worth it mate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Spring Clamps! :} :}
Ive seen one of those break! Almost took my m8 head off!

Dont cut em either! :nono: (unless theres good grub and free booze at your funeral)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
nathplummer said:
Im thinking about lowering my Mk2 mondy, my mate suggested cutting the original springs? Has anybody here ever done that? I only want to lower it slightly as its on 16 inch alloys at the mo.

Any advice?
Only a complete idiot would cut the springs to lower the car. What's the point of sawing the springs down when you can easily get your hands on a set of springs specifically made to lower your car safely? They're not exactly expensive, and unlike sawn down springs they won't cause your car to fail it's MOT. If you really want to lower the car be prepared to put your hand in your wallet and fork out for a set of lowering springs so that you can do the job properly. At the end of the day the car has to be safe so that your life's not in danger - or anybody else's life, for that matter - plus if you have an accident in the car and the insurance find out that you've fitted it with sawn down springs your policy will be invalid. Not only that but you'll be leaving yourself exposed from a legal standpoint, as anybody making a claim against you could claim that you were driving an unsafe vehicle, which could easily pave the way for a prosecution.

Steer clear of sawn down springs - get the real deal and do the job safely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts