Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to fit lowering springs to a car with self levelling suspension???

Am looking at maybe lowering the estate but need to know if it is possible.

Jeff

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
yes, the st220 estates are lower than the standard estate.

iirc the leveling is done by a valve to balance the height front to rear, so as not to lift the car too high. the system is controlled when the engine is on. or aleast thats what i was told when speaking to a ford tech regarding it. (mk3)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what you are saying then Darren, is that if I lower both the front and rear of the car then the self levelling suspension will just level it all out.

The reason I asked was that I was worried if I lowered it that the rear would just adjust itself to the old height again.

Jeff

·
Registered
639 Posts
The self levelling is in the shocks, no linking and no referencing to the front.

So, if you fit lowering springs, the shocks will attempt to 'pump up' to its memory position. I looked into this when I got mine.

Essentially on the 200 estate, you shall need to change th esprings and shocks = ££££££££££

Think I ended with a parts only quote of near to 500 squids for good quality springs and dampers.

Mind you, a rear shock from fraud is 160 odd notes !!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I thought. Oh well might just have to do Clare's hatch for her instead.

Cheers

Jeff

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
that was a bit different to what i was told then, mind he did mention about adjusting some valve. but tbh i decided against itas i was quite happy with the ride off the ghia'x, and after nearly bottoming out when going a bit cross county going to a cycling race, lowering would have made it a tad impractical for the reason i brought it for.

isnt the st200 lower than standard already?

coz if you just want stiffer springs you can get them custom wound to the same height.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 200's lower than the standard estate but I wanted it even lower than it is at present with the plans I had.

Jeff

·
Registered
639 Posts
It is a bit awkward, but I use the self-levelling aspect a fair bit and did not want to loose it.

Although the 200 estate is lower than other the others in the model range, they sit higher than th esaloons and hatches !!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It shows when I park mine next to Clare's hatch and that's why I wanted to lower it.

Not willing to spend loads on a cosmetic mod though so will leave it as it is.

Jeff

·
Phil "THE BOOST" Wootty
2,739 Posts
i thought it was a pain jeff.leave it m8 and do the hatch. :L

1 - 10 of 10 Posts