Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran out of fuel last night in the Mondy (mk2 TD) with just under a quarter of a tank still showing on the gauge. :doh: I haven't had chance to look properly yet, but I'm suspecting the sender unit as all the other instruments and lights seem to be working fine.

The fuel gauge has always plummeted pretty quick from quarter to "light on", but the light has always come on with enough remaining to get to a petrol station. Not any more it would seem.

I know the sender is located under the back seat, but how do I separate it from the tank? None of my two manuals for the car mention it individually, just to disconnect it if you want to drop the tank.

Also, any idea what a replacement is likely to cost?

Cheers in advance
Postie

·
Spider Pig, Spider Pig
1,964 Posts
yer i did mine in my mk2 td, i think the sender unit was £42 and up use a flat screw driver and a hammer to twist of the seal, i got a new seal when i got my new unit then just pull of the cables.

But if you have the same problem i had that i could not twist it out of the tank to get it out so ended up tin snipping some of the metal back

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate! :L

Sounds like a bit of a swine. So what did you have to cut back to get the old sender out?

Cheers

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK mate, I'll bear that in mind.

Fuel gauge has gone completely nuts now. Using the trip meter as a guide, and with about 100 miles left on the fuel in there, it keeps dropping to the bottom and putting the light on, before swinging back up to a quarter. I drove the last mile in this morning with a third of a tank showing and the light on! :headshake:

Bleedin' thing!

Cheers for your help mate
Postie

·
I Love Diesel
2,174 Posts
you shouldnt have to cut any metal out to get the pump/sender out! that would be a real last resort! you have to turn the pump around as you withdraw it, its a bit tricky as it only just comes out one way, with a bit of jiggling. re-fitting it is a similar process of trial and error.

·
Spider Pig, Spider Pig
1,964 Posts
I was running out of time so it was the easyist thing to do, as it was late one night and told the wife i was only looking at it then untwisted it but could not pull it out or re sit it back in and need the car in the morning

1 - 8 of 8 Posts