Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Megger
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a packed dark,wet motorway tonight I ran over a large steel object at 70 ish mph as was impossible to avoid. :mad:
The result is a smashed undertray-was wondering how much this will cost ???
The tray actually saved (fingers crossed) the aircon stuff inside the wing as you can see pipes close to the road on the drivers side.
The bit that is actually smashed off is not the smooth aerodynamic part but the shield closer to the sump etc.
Why do these things happen at this time of the year when you could do without the expense
Thank you

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
Why don't you try an online breakers for the part
they deliver to you,prices are reasonable,you just fill out a simple form,and they will advise
you pretty quickly via email where there is a part.I have used a couple of times now. 247 SPARES HERE

·
Megger
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks-reckon I will need to give them a try......
I called the Ford dealer where I got the car brand new in 2001 who said that they Ford parts system tells them that my car is not fitted with an undershield so they have contacted ''Ford tech support'' so they are phoning me back.
This is a massive Ford dealers so I would have assumed they would have had a request for this part before ????
It would appear that since 2001 Ford have stripped the cars of most of the small finishing touches to save money=no engine covers,suspension tower covers etc etc.
What I thought would be simple job is turning in to the usual saga
The dealer is also checking if the TDCI undertray will fit as apparantly they still have one-can anyone confirm this ????
Will see what the dealer comes back with as well :question:

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
I could imagine they are alike,as they have to
fit onto the bottom of the bumpers,and they are all the same petrol and diesel.
It's just where it fixes futher back,where i can't
comment.
You could always go to the dealer and have a butchers under both types of car on his forecourt.

·
Megger
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KAZUYADOG said:
I could imagine they are alike,as they have to
fit onto the bottom of the bumpers,and they are all the same petrol and diesel.
It's just where it fixes futher back,where i can't
comment.
You could always go to the dealer and have a butchers under both types of car on his forecourt.
Thats a good point :thumbup:

According to the dealer I must have been dreaming all along that the car had an undertray when it did not-the tremendously loud bang and the shards of the alleged undertray flying through the air going all over the merc behind me were all a dream -''the computer says no'' :tongue:

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
At the dealers the "compuuta always saaays naaaa".
My car has an under tray,so i would think that yours used to have one too.
Like i said just get under a couple of Mondeos
on the fourcout and have a look,and see if you can see any difference between petrol and diesel.

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
my 1.8 petrol has no undertray for the engine ( would love one tbh as it might help keep all the road grime etc from finding its way all over the bloody engine bay )

but the ford computers are useless with regards what parts are fitted to the cars sometimes ( even when the reg/vin number is used ) as i went in for a sump plug & got handed the wrong one & the computer was positive it was correct. its also been wrong on a fair few other bits when i have gone in & asked about them ( eibach lowering spring for one as it was positive they were no longer available when i wanted a set after a front spring snapped )

·
Megger
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ford Dealers really can be complete muppets-I am quite scared about what the response from '' Ford Tech Support '' will be :shifty:-
Basically out of several million mondeos mine is unique and no-one has ever knackered the undershield-mmmmmmmm
Reckon I will probably be better sourcing one myself me thinks.
The moral of this miserable tale of woe is that if ever you are on a packed motorway,in the fast lane in diabolical weather and a big chunk of metal appears in front of your trusty 2001 petrol mk3 mondy UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES run over the obstacle risking the undershield
Instead swerve causing a massive pile up-you will die but at least you dont need to worry about the damned undershield :L

·
Megger
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To close this thread for anyone interested I have sorted out the problem.
The undertray is actually called an'' [color:black]Air Deflector[/color]'' and is only £30.00
Fordparts UK can obtain the part for me no problem and even Emailed me the details from their parts system. :thumbup:
The Ford dealer where I bought the car said it did not have any undertray fitted and still have not come back to me :mad:

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
mmmmmmmmm, interesting.

( goes off & adds that to the future mods list :D )

it might help keep the engine bay clean.

if i ever get round to having it cleaned that is :}

·
Megger
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Should have the part in a couple of days :tongue:
Certainly stopped the radiators from being smashed and it does keep some of the dirt from getting in
This is the FINIS
Mondeo 2001, (+)"GB", Duratec HE 2.0 SEFI (145PS),5 Door Saloon, RHD
-Deflector -Air (From: 15-10-2000 To: 15-12-2000)
Part Number: 1134840 (1S71-8B384-AK)
Still not sure though if newer cars than mine have this fitted but if not & its compatible certainly a good thing to have on the car as saved me from an insurance claim had the radiators and aircon condensor been wrecked

·
Big Megger
372 Posts
can i just make a quick point here!

If your car does not have an undertray as standard, then do not fit one. As with my previous experience with my old focus, the part is only fitted to diesels, and not petrols. But i fitted one off a diesel on to my petrol.

This will affect how the engine cools, as air is designed to enter through the front grille, round the engine, than down underneath the car/out behind the bonnet.

Luckily I had oil pressure and temp gauges fitted, so I noticed the problem after it became serious. After a stint on the motorway, the oil temperature had increased much more than it would normally, which will cause thinning of the oil, and so it does not lubritate engine parts as well as it should, and will result in a drop of oil pressure. I presume it had messed up the air flow round the sump area, so the oil was getting hotter and hotter while being at high revs! On removal of the tray, all was fine.

Although this may not affect the mondeo, its something to think about!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.